earnest prayers ends of the earth.


should follow him even to the

He was appointed, with the Rev. Henry Blodget, who was his college classmate, associate Tutor, and a fellow student in the Theological Seminary, to commence a mission at Shanghai. And these are the young men on board the good ship Candace, the 11th of April, 1854, bound for Canton. How they passed their time during the long voyage, what storms and calms, what sights and perils they passed, will appear, in part at least, from the following extracts from Mr. Aitchison's journal.

"At precisely half-past twelve we left the wharf in tow of a steam-tug. Last adieus were waved by and to the few acquaintances who stood upon the shore; and then we addressed ourselves to the task of keeping calm, while we penned a few farewell lines to the friends nearest and dearest. At about three o'clock the sails were set, the hawser which connected the bark with the tug cast loose, and we stood away China-ward, with a favoring breeze. Soon after sunset the heights of Never-sink were rapidly belying their name, by their disappearance beneath the waves.

"Before ten o'clock I retired to my berth for the night, after committing to God in silent prayer all my dear friends whose society has been so sweet, myself, and the great work to which I have devoted everything I have and amthe Salvation of China.

"April 22, Sat. Eleven days have passed since my last entry. During this long period, we have scarcely seen the sun. We have been traversing what are called in the charts the stormy regions of the Gulf Stream. Clouds, rain, wind, waves, sea-sickness, danger and misery-are the words which apply to the voyage thus far. The wind has boxed the compass more than once, blowing a gale from every point in succession. The morning after leaving New York there was for a few hours almost a dead calm. As we were on soundings, Mr. B. and myself got out our fishing gear, and went industriously to work. I had the honor of hauling in the only fish captured-a noble cod, weighing forty-two pounds. The next day the sky became overcast, the wind rose, the sea ran hill high, and our troubles commenced. Sunday morning at 1 o'clock, A. M., the violence of the storm compelled us to heave to. For

[graphic][merged small][merged small][merged small]
[blocks in formation]

hours I contemplated death as an impending event, and looked into my prospects for eternity. Though deeply sensible of my sins, and desirous of living to do something for the redemption of the heathen nations, I think I was enabled to cast myself into the arms of my Saviour, and say, 'I am ready to be offered, if such is thy holy will.' God in his great mercy, however, protected us through all dangers seen and unseen; and to-day the ocean is comparatively calm, and the aspect of the heavens favorable.


April 23, Sab. This day may be called, in a certain sense, my first Sabbath at sea, as I was only lasting, and not living, one week ago. Immediately after washing and dressing I went forward on the bow-sprit and enjoyed a pleasant hour of communion with God, and of meditation on holy themes. I read my Bible, sang and prayed aloud, my voice mingling with the murmur of the waves as they dashed beneath. Every thing seemed hallowed by the presence of God. There was, as I have often felt on shore, a seeming spell laid upon every object in nature, in token of the sacredness of the day. The sky was almost cloudless, the sun shining in his

« VorigeDoorgaan »