« VorigeDoorgaan »
"Come let us see one another in the face."-2 Chron. xxv. 17.
DVICE, like snow, the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into, the mind.Coleridge.
1. See that your religion makes you a better son or daughter, a better clerk, a better student, a better friend, a better workman. 2. Do not set yourself up as a standard. Shun all censoriousness. Remember that each one "to his own Master standeth or falleth," and not to you. 3. Let nothing keep you from the Saviour. Never be tempted to stay away from Him by unbelieving doubts, by past neglect, by present fear, by anything. Be more intimate with Him than with any earthly friend. 4. Never rejoice in your own strength. A child looking to Christ is stronger than a strong man armed. Be resolute in looking to Him alone for strength. Finally, do not be discouraged if you fail in everything. If you were perfect, what need would you have of a Saviour?
1. Never neglect daily private prayer; and remember that God hears your prayers. 2. Never neglect daily
James Blackwood & Co., Publishers,
Elegantly bound in cloth, and Illustrated, small post 8vo, 5s. cloth. 1. YOUNG BENJAMIN FRANKLIN: Showing the Principles which raised a Printer's Boy to First Ambassador of the American Republic. By HENRY MAYHEW. 8 Illustrations by John
2. ROMANCE AND REALITY. By L. E. L., with a full Memoir and Portrait of the Author, and other Illustrations.
"Thus have I begun :
And 'tis my hope to end successfully."
3. THE ROYAL HOLIDAY AND YOUNG STUDENT'S BOOK: Being the "Holiday Book for the Young" and the "Young Student's Holiday Book" complete in One Volume. Numerous Illustrations.
4. INDOOR AND OUTDOOR GAMES FOR ALL SEASONS: Being Parlour Pastimes and Games for all Seasons. Complete in One Volume. Numerous Illustrations.
5. STORIES OF THE CONQUESTS OF MEXICO AND PERU, with a Sketch of the Adventures of the Spaniards in the New World, retold for Youth. By WILLIAM Dalton. With 8 Illustrations by Gilbert.
6. THE POWDER MONKEY; or, The Adventures of Two Boy Heroes in the Island of Madagascar. By WILLIAM Dalton.
7. THE WESTERN MARTYROLOGY; or, Bloody Assizes: containing the Lives, Trials, and Dying Speeches of all those eminent Protestants that suffered in the West of England and elsewhere, from the year 1678; together with the Life and Death of Judge Jeffreys.
8. THE ARABIAN NIGHT'S
ENTERTAINMENTS. Translated from the Arabic. A New Edition, with numerous Illustrations in the Text, and 16 Page Illustrations, forming a very handsome Volume.
8. Lovell's Court, Paternoster Row, London.
THE WISDOM AND GENIUS OF DR. SAMUEL JOHNSON.
TREASURED THOUGHTS OF GREAT MINDS.
MAXIMS OF THE WISE AND GOOD.
EMBLEMS, DIVINE AND MORAL. BY FRANCIS QUARLES.