« VorigeDoorgaan »
7. Nevertheless, I tell you the Truth; It is expedient for you, that I go away for if I go not away, the ComFORTER will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will fend him unto you.
8. And when he is come, he will reprove the World of Sin, and of Righteoufnefs, and of Judgment:
9. Of SIN, because they BELIEVE not on me;
1o. Of RIGHTEOUSNESS, because I go to my Father, and ye fee me no more;
11. Of JUDGMENT, because the Prince of this World is judged.
12. I have yet many Things to fay unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13. Howbeit, when he the SPIRIT of TRUTH is come, he will guide you into all Truth: for he fhall not speak of himfelf: but whatfoever he fhall hear, that fhall he fpeak and he will fhew you Things to come.
14. He fhall glorify me: for he fhall receive of mine, and fhall fhew it unto you.
15. All Things that the Father hath, are mine: Therefore faid 1, that he fhall take of mine, and fhall fhew it unto you.
16. A little while, and ye fhall not fee me: and again, a little while, and ye fhall fee me: because I go to the Father.
17. Then faid fome of his Difciples among themselves, What is this that he faith unto us, A little while and ye fhall not fee me: and again, A little while and ye fhall fee me and, Because I go to the Father?
18. They faid therefore, What is this that he faith, A little while? We cannot tell what he faith.
19. Now Jefus knew that they were defirous to ask him, and faid unto them, Do ye inquire among your felves of that I faid, A little while and ye fhall not fee me: and again, A little while and ye fhall fee me?
20. Verily, verily I fay unto you, that ye fhall weep and lament, but the World fhall rejoice: and ye_fhall be forrowful, but your Sorrow fhall be turned into Joy.
21. A Woman when fhe is in travail, hath Sorrow, because her Hour is come: but as foon as fhe is delivered of the Child, fhe remembreth no more the Anguifh, for Joy that a Man is born into the World.
22. And ye now therefore have Sorrow: but I will
fee you again, and your Heart fhall rejoice, and your Joy no Man taketh from you.
23. And in that Day ye fhall afk me nothing: Verily, verily I fay unto you, Whatsoever ye* fhall ASK the Father in my Name, he will GIVE it you.
24. Hitherto have ye afked nothing in my Name: Afk, and ye fhall receive, that your Joy may be full.
25. Thefe Things have I fpoken unto you in Proverbs: the Time cometh when I fhall no more fpeak unto you in Proverbs, but I fhall fhew you plainly of the Father.
26. At that Day ye fhall ASK in my NAME: and I fay unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
27. For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
28. I came forth from the Father, and am come into the World Again, I leave the World, and go to the Father.
29. His Difciples faid unto him, Lo, now fpeakeft thou plainly, and fpeakeft no Proverb.
30. Now are we fure that thou knoweft all Things, and needeft not that any Man fhould afk thee: by this we believe that thou cameft forth from God.
31. Jefus anfwered them, Do ye now believe?
32. Behold, the Hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye fhall be fcattered, every Man to his own, and fhall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
33. Thefe Things have I fpoken unto you, that in me ye might have PEACE. In the World ye fhall have TRIBULATION: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the World.
*See pag. Ixiii. Of the Efficacy of PRATER, in the APOLOGY to the Harmony of the PS ALMS.
CHA P. XVII.
This Chapter contains the folemn Addrefs of our Saviour to his Almighty Father just before his Paffion; wherein be prays that his Difciples might have Eternal Life, confifting in the Knowledge of God, and might be preferved in Unity and Truth; and that they and all other Believers might be glorified with him: which feems to be the Pattern or Model of his Eternal Interceffion in the Heavens.
all all KNOW me, from the leat faying, Know the Lord: For they of them unto the greateft of them,
faith the Lord: for I will forgive their INIQUITY, and I will remember their STN no more.
Hof. vi. 6. For I defired MERCY, and not Sacrifice: and the KNOW
LEDGE of God, more than Burntofferings.
Rom. i. 18. For the Wrath of God is revealed from Heaven againft all UNGODLINESS and Unrighteoufnefs of Men, who hold the Truth in Unrighteousness.
9. I pray for them: I pray not for the World, but for them which thou haft given me, for they are thine.
10. And all mine are thine, and thine are mine, and I am glorified in them.
11. And now I am no more in the World, but thefe are in the World, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own Name, thofe whom thou haft given me, that they may be ONE,
19. Because that which may be known of God, is manifett in them, for God hath fhewed it unto them.
20. For the INVISIBLE Things of him from the Creation of the
World, are clearly feen, being understood by the Things that are made, even his eternal POWER and GODHEAD, fo that they are with
as we are.
12. While I was with them in the World, I kept them in thy Name: thofe that thou gavest me, I have kept, and none of them is loft, but the Son of PERDITION: that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
21. Because that when they knew
God, they GLORIFIED him not as
1 Cor. i. 21. For after that, in the WISDOM of God, the World by WISDOM knew not God, it pleafed God by the Foolishness of Preaching to SAVE them that believe. manded the LIGHT to fhine out of DARKNESS, hath fhined in our Hearts, to give the LIGHT of the KNOWLEDGE of the Glory of God, in the Face of Jefus Chrift.
2 Cor. For God who com
John x. 27. My Sheep hear my Voice, and I know them, and they follow
28. And I give unto them Eternal LIFE, and they fhall never perifh, neither hall any pluck them out of my Hand.
Ephef. i. 17. That the God of our Lord Jefus Chrift, the Father of Glory, may give unto you the SPIRIT of WISDOM and Revelation in the Knowledge of him:
18. The Eyes of your Underftanding being enlightned; that ye may know what is the Hope of his
13. And now come I to thee, and these Things 1 fpeak in the World, that they
See Page 21. in the Abstract of the Old Teftament, of the Excellency of the Word of GOD.
might have my Joy fulfilled in themselves.
14. I have given them thy WORD; and the World hath hated them, because they are not of the World, even as I am not of the World.
15. I pray not that thou fhould take them out of the World, but that thou fhouldft keep them from the
Chap. iii. 8. Unto me, who am less than the leaft of all Saints, is preach among the Gentiles the unthis Grace given, that I should fearchable Riches of Chrift.
9. And to make all Men fee, what is the Fellowship of the Mystery, which from the Beginning of the World hath been hid in God, who created ALLTHINGS by Jefu Chrift:
10. To the Intent that now unto
the Principalities and Powers in heavenly Places, might be known 18. As by the Church the manifold WisDOM OF GOD,
16. They are not of the World, even as I am not of the World.
CALLING, and what the RICHES
of the GLORY of his Inheritance in the SAINTS,
19. And what is the exceeding Greatnefs of his Power to us ward Chap.ii.13. But now in Chrifi Tfu, ye who were fometimes far off, are made NICH by the Blood of Chrift.
18. For through him we both have an Acccfs by one Spirit unto the Father.
17. SANCTIFY them thro' thy Truth thy WORD is
11. According to the eternal Pur. Jefus our Lord:
pore which he purpofed in Chrift 12. In whom we have Boldness and Accefs with Confidence by the Faith of him.
Phil. iii. 8. I count all Things but Lofs, for the EXCELLENCY of the KNOWLEDGE of Chrift Jefus my Lord for whom I have fuffered the Lofs of ALL THINGS, and do count them but Dung that I may win Chrift,
9. And be found in him, not having mine own RIGHTEOUSNESS, which is of the LAW, but that which is through the FAITH of Chrift, the Righteousness which is of GOD by FAITH:
10. That I may KNOW him, and the POWER of his Refurrection and the Fellowship of his Sufferings, being made CONFORMABLE unto his Death.
11. If by any means I might attain unto the Refurre&ion of the Dead. Col. iii. 3. For ye are dead, and your LIFE is HID with Christ in God. 4. When Chriff, who is our LIFE, fhall appear, then fhall ye alfo appear with him in GLORY.
Chap. i. 9. For this Caufe we alfo fince the Day we heard it, do not ceafe to pray for you, and to defire that ye might be filled with the Knowledge of his WILL, in all Wifdom and fpiritual Undertanding.
10. That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleafing, being fruitful in every good Work, and increasing in the KNOWLEDGE OF God.
2 Pet. i. 2. Grace and Peace be multiplied unto you through the Knowledge of God, and of Jefus our Lord,
3. According as his DIVINE POWER hath given unto us all Things that pertain unto LIFE and GoDLINESS, through the Knowledge of him that hath called us to GLORY and VIRTUE.
5. And befides this, giving all Diligence, add to your FAITH, Vistue, and to VIRTUE, Knowledge.