« VorigeDoorgaan »
that any Man fhould carry any Veffel through the Temple. And he taught, faying unto them, Is it not written, My Houfe fhall be called of all Nations the House of PRAYER? But, ye have made it a Den of THIEVES. And the Scribes and Chief Priests heard it, and fought how they might deftroy him: for they FEARED him, becaufe all the People were ASTONISHED at his DOCTRINE.  Jefus cried, and faid, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that fent me. I * am come a LIGHT into the World, that whofoever believeth on me, fhould not abide in Darkness. And if any Man hear my Words, † and believe not, I JUDGE him not; for I came not to JUDGE the World, but to SAVE the World. He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my Words, hath one that judgeth him. The (b) WORD that I have spoken, the fame fhall JUDGE him in the LAST DAY. For I have not spoken of my felf; but the Father which fent me, he gave me a Commandment what I fhould fay, and what I fhould fpeak. And I know that his COMMANDMENT is LIFE Everlasting: Whatfoever I fpeak therefore, even as the Father faid unto me, fo I fpeak.
Mark xii. 41. Luke xxi. 1. [Mr.] And Fefus fat over against the Treafury, and beheld how the People caft Money into the Treafury, and many that were rich, caft in much. And there came a certain poor Widow, and fhe threw in two Mites, which make a Farthing. [Ĺ.] And he looked up, and faw the rich Men calling their Gifts
(b) Heb. i. 1. GOD, who at fundry Times, and in divers Manners, fpake
in time paft unto the Fathers by the Prophets,
2. Hath in these last Days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath
appointed Heir of ALL THINGS, by whom alfo he made the WORLDS.
3. Who being the BRIGHTNESS IMAGE of his PERSON, and UPof his GLORY, and the exprefs HOLDING ALL THINGS by the WORD of his POWER, when he had by himself purged our SINS, SAT DOWN on the RIGHT HAND
of the Majefty on HIGH.
Chap. iv. 1. Let us therefore fear, leaft a PROMISE being left us of entring into his REST, any of you fhould feem to come short of it.
2. For unto us was the GOSPEL preached as well as unto them: but the Word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with FAITH in them that heard it.
11. Let us LABOUR therefore to
enter into that REST, left any Man FALL after the fame Example of UNBELIEF.
12. For the WORD of GOD is QUICK, and POWERFUL, and fharper than any two-edged Sword, pierc ing even to the dividing asunder of and Marrow, and is a Difcerner of Soul and Spirit, and of the Joints the THOUGHTS and INTENTS of into the Heart.
* See the References pag. 139.
13. Neither is there any Creature that is not MANIFEST in his Sight: but ALL THINGS are naked, and opened unto the Eyes of him, with whom we have to do.
into the Treafury. And he faw alfo a certain poor Widow cafting in thither two Mites. [Mr.] And he called unto him his Difciples, and faith unto them, Verily, [Z.] of a Truth [Mr.] I fay unto you, that this poor Widow hath caft more in, than all they that have caft into the Treafury. [L.] For all these have of their ABUNDANCE caft in unto the Offerings of GoD, but fhe of her PENURY hath caft in all [Mr.] that she had, even all her Living [L.] that fhe had.
Matt. xxi. 20. Mark xi. 19.
[Mr.] And when Even was come, he went out of the City. And in the Morning, as they paffed by, they faw the Fig Tree dried up from the Roots. [M] And when the Disciples faw it, they marvelled, faying, How foon is the Fig Tree withered away! [Mr.] And Peter calling to remembrance, faith unto him, Mafter, behold the Fig Tree which thou curfedft is withered away. And Jefus anfwering, faith unto them, Have FAITH in GOD. For verily I fay unto you, [M] If ye have FAITH, and doubt not, ye fhall not only do this which is done to the Fig Tree, but alfo if ye fhall fay unto this Mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou caft into the Sea; it fhall be done. [Mr.] And whofoever fhall fay unto this Mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou caft into the Sea; and shall not doubt in his Heart, but fhall BELIEVE that thofe Things which he faith fhall come to pafs; he fhall have whatfoever he faith. Therefore I fay unto you, What Things foever ye DESIRE when ye PRAY, BELIEVE that ye receive them, and ye fhall have them. [M] And all Things whatfoever ye fhall ASK in PRAYER, BELIEV ING, ye shall receive. [Mr.] And when ye ftand, PRAYING, FORGIVE, if ye have ought against any: that your Father alfo which is in Heaven may FORGIVE you your Trefpaffes. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in Heaven, forgive your Trefpaffes.
See pag. Ixiii. Of PRAYER in general, in the Harmony of the PSALMS.
I. The Difciples fhewing our Saviour the magnificent Buildings of the Temple, he foretels its Deftruction, fo as that not one Stone should be left upon another; the Siege of Jerufalem by the Romans; and the Difperfion of the Jews over all the World.
Matt. xxiv. I. Mark xiii. 1. Luke xxi. 5.
[M]AND Jefus went out, and departed from the Temple. [Mr.] And as he went out of the Temple, one of his Difciples faith unto him, Mafter, fee what manner of Stones, and what Buildings are here. And Jefus anfwering, faid unto him, Seeft thou thefe great BUILDINGS? there fhall not be left one Stone upon another, that fhall not be thrown down. [M.] And his Difciples came to him, for to fhew him the Buildings of the Temple. [L.] And as fome fpake of the Temple, how it was ADORNED with goodly Stones and Gifts, [M] Fefus faid unto them, See ye not all thefe Things? Verily I fay unto you, [L.] As for thefe Things which ye behold, the Days will come, in the which there fhall not be left one STONE upon another, that fhall not be thrown down. [L.] And (a) when ye fhall fee Jerufalem compaffed with ARMIES, then know that the DESOLATION thereof is nigh. [Mr.] When ye therefore fhall fee the ABOMINATION of DESOLATION fpoken of by Daniel the Prophet, [Mr.jftanding where it ought not, [M.] in the holy
(a) Levit. xxvi. 27. And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me: 28. Then I will walk contrary unto you alfo in FURY; and Í, even I, will chaftife you feven times for your SINS.
31. And I will make your CITIES
watte, and bring your SANCTUA
Place (whofo readeth, let him understand) Then let them which be in Judea, flee into the Mountains; [L.] and let them which are in the midft of it, depart out; and let not them that are in the Countries enter thereinto. [Mr.] And let him that is on the Houfe-top not go down into the Houfe, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his Houfe. And let him that is in the Field not turn back again for to take up his Garment, or [M.] to take up his Clothes. [L.] For thefe be the Days of VENGEANCE, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. [M] And wo unto them that with Child, and to them that give fuck in thofe Days. But pray ye that your Flight be not in the Winter, neither On the Sabbath-day. For then fhall be great TRIBULATION, and [.] great Diftrefs in the Land, and Wrath upon this People. [Mr.] For in thofe Days fhall be AFFLICTION, fuch as was not from the Beginning of the Creation which God created, unto this Time, neither [M] ever fhall be. [L.] And they fhall FALL by the Edge of the SWORD, and fhall be led away CAPTIVE into all NATIONS, and Jerufalem fhall be TRODEN DOWN of the Gentiles, until the TIMES of the Gentiles be fulfilled. [M.] And except thofe Days
mies which dwell therein, fhall be astonished at it.
33. And I will scatter you among the Heathen, and will draw out a Sword after you and your Land fhall be DESOLATE, and your Ci
Deut. iv. 25. If ye fhall do EVIL in the Sight of the Lord thy God, to provoke him to Anger:
among the NATIONS, and ye inall 27. The Lord fhall SCATTER YOU be left FEW in Number among the Heathen, whither the Lord fhall lead
Chap. xxviii. 64. And the Lord fhall SCATTER thee among ALL PEOPLE, from the one End of the Earth, even unto the other.
Pfal. lxxxix. 30. If his Children foríake my LAW, and walk not in my JUDGMENTS;
and keep not my Commandments: 31. If they break my STATUTES,
32. Then will I vifit their Tranfgreffion with the ROD, and their INIQUITY with Stripes.
38. Thou haft CAST off and abhorred, thou haft been wroth with thine Anointed.
39. Thou haft made void the profaned his Crown, by caiting it Covenant of thy Servant: thou haft to the Ground.
40. Thou haft broken down all Strong-holds to RUIN. his Hedges, thou haft brought his
44. Thou haft made his GLORY to ceafe, and catt his Throne down
to the Ground.
Ifai. i. 2. Hear, O Heavens, and give Ear, O Earth: for the Lord hath spoken, I have nourished and rebelled against me. brought up Children, and they have
7. Your Country is DESOLATE, your Cities are BURNT with FIRE: your Land, Strangers devour it in your Prefence, and it is DESOLATE as overthrown by Strangers.
19. If ye be willing and obedient, ye fhall eat the Good of the
20. But if ye refuse and rebel, ye fhall be devoured with the SWORD: for the Mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
21. How is the faithful City be
JUDGMENT, Righteoufnefs lodged in it, but now Murderers.
fhould be fhortned, and come an Harlot? It was full of [Mr.] the Lord had fhortned thofe Days, no Flesh fhould be faved: but for the Elects fake, whom he hath chofen, he hath fhortned the Days, and [M.] thofe Days fhall be fhortned.
Jer. vii. 13. And now because ye have done all thefe Works, faith the Lord, and I fpake unto you, rifing heard not; and I called you, but ye up early, and fpeaking, but ye anfwered not.
15. I will CAST you out of my SIGHT, as I have caft out all your Brethren, even the whole Seed of Ephraim.
34. Then will I caufe to CEASE from the CITIES of Judah, and from the Streets of Jerufalem, the Voice of Mirth, and the Voice of Gladness, the Voice of the Bridegroom, and the Voice of the Bride: for the LAND fhall be DESOLATE.
Ezek. v. 11. Wherefore, as I live, faith the Lord God, furely because thou haft defiled my SANCTUARY with all thy deteftable Things, and with all thine ABOMINATIONS, therefore will I alfo DIMINISH thee, neither fhall mine Eye fpare, neither will I have any Pity.
12. A third Part of thee fhall die with the PESTILENCE, and with FAMINE fhall they be confumed, in the midft of thee; and a third Part fhall FALL by the SWORD round about thee; and I will fcatter a third part into all the Winds, and I will draw out a Sword after them.
Dan. viii. 13. Then I heard one Saint fpeaking, and another Saint faid unto that certain Saint which fpake, How long fhall be the Vision concerning the DAILY SACRIFICE, and the Tranfgreflion of DESOLATION, to give both the SANCTUARY and the HOST to be troden under Foot?
14. And he faid unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred Days; then fhall the SANCTUARY be CLEANSED.
Chap. ix. 26. And after threefcore and two Weeks fhall MESSIAH be CUT OFF, but not for himself and the People of the Prince that shall come fhall deftroy the CITY, and the SANCTUARY, and the End thereof fhall be with a Flood, and unto the End of the War DESOLATIONS are determined.
27. And he fhall confirm the Covenant with many for one Week: and in the midft of the Week he fhall caufe the Sacrifice and the Oblation to cease, and for the overfpreading of ABOMINATIONS, he fhall make it defolate, even until the CONSUMMATION, and that determined fhall be poured upon the DESOLATE.
Hofea iii. 4. The Children of Ifrael fhall abide many Days without a KING, and without a PRINCE, and without a Sacrifice, and without an Image, and without an Ephod, and without Teraphim.
1 Theff. ii. 14. For ye alfo have fuffered like Things of your own Countrymen, even as they have of the Jews.
15. Who both killed the Lord Jefus, and their own Prophets, and have perfecuted us, and they please not GoD, and are contrary to all
16. Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles, that they might be SAVED; to fill up their Sins alway; for the WRATH is come upon them to the uttermoft.