« VorigeDoorgaan »
of Money, that take, and give unto them for me and thee.
Revenger to execute Wrath upon him that doth EVIL.
6. For, for this Caufe pay you TRIBUTE alfo: for they are God's Minifters, attending continually upon this very Thing.
1 Tim. ii. 1. I exhort therefore, that first of all, Supplications, Prayers, Interceffions, and giving of Thanks, be made for all Men:
2. For KINGS, and for all that are in Authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable Life, in all Godliness and Honefty.
Titus iii. 1. Put them in mind to be fubject to Principalities and Powers, to obey MAGISTRATES, to be ready to every good Work.
1 Pet. ii. 13. SUBMIT your felves to every Ordinance of Man, for the Lord's fake: whether it be to the KING as fupreme;
14. Or unto GOVERNOURS, as unto them that are fent by him, for the Punishment of EVIL-DOERS, and for the Praise of them that do well.
Our Saviour's Difcourfe to Martha, of the one Thing needful.
Luke NOW it came
4. For he is the Minifter of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is Evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the Sword in vain : for he is the MINISTER Of God, a
39. And he had a Sifter called Mary, which alfo fat at Jefus Feet, and heard his Word,
40. But Martha was cumbred about much ferving, and came to him, and faid, Lord, doft thou not care that my Sifter hath left me to ferve alone? Bid her therefore that fhe help me.
41. And Jefus anfwered and faid unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many Things: 42. But
42. But ONE THING is NEEDFUL. And Mary hath chofen that GOOD PART, which fhall not be taken away from her.
ing, and these Things I will that which have believed in GoD, might thou affirm constantly, that they be CAREFUL to maintain GOOD WORKS: thefe Things are good and profitable unto Men.
1 Pet. V. 7. CASTING all your Care upon him, for he careth for you.
Mary anoints CHRIST. The Difciples murmur at her. Our Saviour tells them, it was in order to his Burial; and foretels his Death and Resurrec
Matt. xxvi. 6. Mark xiv. 3. John xii, 1. 'HEN Jefus, fix Days before the Paffover, came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raifed from the Dead. There they made him a Supper, and Martha ferved: but Lazarus was one of them that fat at the Table with him. [M.] Now when Fefus was in Bethany, [Mr.] in the House of Simon the Leper, as he fat at Meat there came a Woman,  Mary, [Mr.] having an Alabafter Box. [7.] Then (a) fhe took a Pound [M.] of very precious Ointment  of Spikenard, very coftly, [M.]came unto him,  and anointed the Feet of Fefus, and wiped his Feet with her Hair; [Mr.] and fhe brake the Box, and poured it on his Head, [M] as he fat at Meat:  and the House was filled with the Odour of the Ointment.
(a) Cant. viii. 6. Set me as a Seal upon thine Heart, as a Seal upon thine Arm: for LovE is STRONG as Death, Jealoufy is cruel as the Grave: the Coals thereof are Coals of Fire, which hath a moit
vehement Flame :
7. Many WATERS cannot quench
LovE, neither can the FLOODS drown it: If a Man would give all LovE, it would utterly be contemned.
the Substance of his House for
See pag. 214. and the References thereto.
Then faith one of his Difciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's Son, which fhould betray him, Why was not this Oint
ment fold for three hundred Pence, and given to the Poor? [M.] But when his Difciples faw it, they had Indignation [Mr.] within themselves, and faid, Why was this Wafte of the Ointment made? [M.] For this Ointment might have been fold for much, Mr.] for more than three hundred Pence, and have been given to the POOR: and they murmured against her.  This he (Judas) faid, not that he cared for the Poor, but because he was a Thief, and had the Bag, and bare what was put therein. [M.] When Jefus understood it,  then faid Jefus, Let her alone; [M.] and he faid unto them, Why trouble ye the Woman? [Mr.] Let her alone, [M] for fhe hath wrought a good Work upon me. For ye have the Poor always with you, [Mr.] and whenfoever ye will ye may do them good but me ye have not always. She hath done what The could; [M] for in that fhe poured this Ointment on my Body, fhe did it for my Burial;  against the Day of my Burying hath fhe kept this; [Mr.] fhe is come aforehand, to anoint my Body to the Burying. Verily I fay unto you, Wherefoever this GoSPEL fhall be preached throughout the whole World, this alfo that fhe hath done fhall be fpoken of, for a Memorial of her.  Much People of the Jews therefore knew that he was there: and they came not for Jefus fake only, but that they might fee Lazarus alfo, whom he had raised from the Dead. But the Chief Priests confulted, that they might put Lazarus alfo to Death: because that by reafon of him, many of the Jews went away, and BELIEVED on Fefus.
CHRIST's Transfiguration before three of Difciples.
Luke AND it came to ix. 28. pafs about an eight Days after, he took Peter, and John, and James, and went up into a Mountain to
29. And as he prayed, the Fashion
2 Pet. OR we have not fol-
17. For he received from GOD the Father HONOUR and GLORY,
when there came fuch a Voice to
Fashion of his Countenance was altered, and his Raiment was white and glistring. 30. And behold, there talked with him two Men, which were Mofes and Elias.
31. Who appeared in Glory, and fpake of his Deceafe which he fhould accomplish at Ferufalem.
32. But Peter, and they that were with him, were heavy with Sleep: and when they were awake, they faw his Glory, and the two Men that flood with him.
33. And it came to pafs as they departed from him, Peter faid unto Fefus, Mafter, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three Tabernacles, one for thee, and one for Mofes, and one for Elias: not knowing what he faid.
34. While he thus fpake, there came a Cloud, and overfhadowed them: and they feared as they entred into the Cloud.
35. And there came a Voice out of the Cloud, faying, This is my BELOVED SON, HEAR him.
18. And this Voice which came
from Heaven, we heard, when we were with him in the holy Mount.
Ifai. ix. 6. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given, and the Government fhall be upon his called, Wonderful, Counfellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Shoulder and his Name fhall be
7. Of the Increase of his Govern
ment and Peace, there fhall be no End, upon the Throne of David and upon his Kingdom, to order it, and to eftablifh it, with Judgment and with Juftice, from henceforth even for ever.
Zech. xiv. 7. But it fhall be one Day which fhall be known to the
Lord, not Day, nor Night: but it fhall come to pass that at Even time it shall be LIGHT.
over all the Earth: In that Day fhall there be ONE LORD, and his NAME ONE.
9. And the LORD (hall be KING
2 Cor. iii. 7. But if the Ministration of Death written and engraven in Stones, was GLORIOUS, fo that the Children of Ifrael could not
ftedfaitly behold the Face of Moses, for the GLORY of his Countenance, which GLORY was to be DONE AWAY;
8. How fhall not the Ministration of the SPIRIT be rather GLORIOUS?
9. For if the Ministration of
CONDEMNATION be Glory, much teoufnefs EXCEED in GLORY. more doth the Ministration of Righ
10. For even that which was made glorious, had no Glory in this refpect, by reafon of the GLORY that excelleth.
II. For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is GLORIOUS.
Chap. iv. 6. For Gon who commanded the LIGHT to fhine out of DARKNESS, hath fhined in our Hearts, to give the LIGHT of the Knowledge of the GLORY of GOD, in the Face of Jefus Chrift.
Col. i. 12. Giving Thanks unto
fus came and touched them, and faid, Arife, and be not afraid. And when they had lift up their Eyes; [Mr.] and fuddenly when they had looked round about, they faw no Man any more, fave fefus only with themfelves.
[M] And as they came down from the Mountain, Fefus charged them [Mr.] that they fhould tell no Man what Things they had feen, till the Son of Man were rifen from the DEAD; [M] faying, Tell the VISION to no Man, until the SON of MAN be RISEN again from the DEAD. [L.] And they kept it clofe, [Mr.] and they kept that Saying with themselves, queftioning one with another, what the RISING from the DEAD fhould mean, [Z.] and told no Man in thofe Days any of thofe Things which they had seen. [M.] And his Difciples asked him, faying, Why then fay the Scribes that Elias muft first
come? And Fefus anfwered and faid unto them, Elias truly fhall first come; [Mr.] Elias verily cometh firft, [M] and fhall reftore all Things; [Mr.] and how it is written of the Son of MAN that he muft SUFFER many Things, and be fet at nought. [M] But I fay unto you, that Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatfoever they lifted, [Mr.] as it is
the Father, which hath made us tance of the SAINTS in LIGHT. meet to be Partakers of the Inheri
13. Who hath delivered us from the Power of DARKNESS, and hath tranflated us into the KINGDOM of
his dear Son :
14. In whom we have Redemption through his BLOOD, even the Forgivencls of SINS.
15. Who is the IMAGE of the
INVISIBLE GOD, the Firit-born of every Creature:
16. For by him were all Things CREATED, that are in Heaven, and
that are in Earth, vifible and invifible, whether they be Thrones, or Dominions, or Principalities, or Powers: ALL THINGS were created by him, and for him.
17. And he is before all Things, and by him ALL THINGS CONSIST.
1 Tim. iii. 16. And without Con
troverfy, great is the Mystery of GODLINESS: GOD was manifeft in the FLESH, juftified in the SPIRIT, feen of ANGELS, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the World, received up into GLORY.
Chap. vi. 13. I give thee charge in the Sight of God, who quickneth all Things, and before Chrift Jefus, who before Pontius Pilate witneffed a good Cuntellion;
14. That thou keep this Commandment without Spot, unrebuke
able, until the Appearing of our Lord Jefus Chrift;
15. Which in his Times he shall fhew, who is the BLESSED and ONLY POTENTATE, the KING of KINGS, aud LORD of LORDS;
16. Who only hath IMMORTALITY, dwelling in the LIGHT, which no Man can approach unto, whom no Man hath feen, nor can fee: to whom be HONOUR and POWER everlasting. Amen.
Heb. i. 1. GOD, who at fundry Times, and in divers Manners, fpake in time paft unto the Fathers by the Prophets,
2. Hath in these last Days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed Heir of ALL THINGS, by whom. alfo he made the WORLDS.
3. Who being the BRIGHTNESS of his GLORY, and the exprefs