« VorigeDoorgaan »
59. Then took they up Stones to caft at him: but Jefus hid himself, and went out of the Temple, going through the midst of them, and fo paffed by.
vant whom I have chosen: that ye may KNOW and BELIEVE me, and understand that I AM HE.
11. I, even I AM the LORD, and befide me there is NO SAVIOUR. SAVED, and I have fhewed, when
12. I have declared, and have
there was no strange God among you: therefore ye are my Witnef
fes, faith the Lord, that I AM GOD.
13. Yea, before the Day was, I AM HE; and there is none that can deliver out of my Hand: I will work, and who shall let it?
14. Thus faith the Lord your REDEEMER, the HOLY ONE of Ifrael,· 15. I AM the LORD, your HOLY ONE, the Creator of Ifrael, your KING.
25. I, even I AM he that BLOTTETH OUT thy Tranfgreffions, for mine own fake, and will not remember thy SINS.
See Page 1. Of the Divinity of our Saviour.
CHRIST avows himself to be the Messiah reprefented by the Prophets under the Emblem of a Shepherd; and by this Parable defcribes the Paftoral Office, and gives the Character of falfe Teach
John Erily, verily I fay unto you, He that entreth not by the Door into the Sheepfold, but climbeth up fome other way, the fame is a Thief and a Robber.
2. But he that entreth in by the Door, is the Shepherd of the Sheep.
3. To him the Porter openeth; and the Sheep hear his Voice: and he calleth his own Sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
4. And when he putteth forth his own Sheep, he goeth before them, and the Sheep follow him: for they know his Voice.
5. And a Stranger will they not follow, but will fee from him: for they know not the Voice of Strangers.
6. This Parable fpake Jefus unto them: but they underifood not what Things they were which he fpake un:o them.
7. Then faid Jefus unto them again, Verily, verily I fay unto you, I am the Door of the SHEEP.
8. All that ever came before me, are Thieves and Robbers but the Sheep did not hear them.
9. I am the Dook: by me if any Man enter in, he fhall be SAVED, and fhall go in and out, and find Pafture.
10. The Thief cometh not but for to fteal, and to kill, and to deftroy: I am come, that they might have LIFE, and that they might have it more abundantly.
11. I (a) am the GOOD SHEPHERD: the good Shepherd giveth his LIFE for the SHEEP.
12. But (b) he that is an HIRELING, and not the Shepherd, whofe own the Sheep are not, feeth the Wolf coming, and leaveth the Sheep, and fleeth and the Wolf catcheth them, and fcattereth the Sheep.
13. The Hireling fleeth, because he is an Hireling, and careth not for the Sheep.
14. I am the GOOD SHEPHERD, and KNOW my Sheep, and am KNOWN of mine.
15. As the Father knoweth me, even fo know I the ther and I lay down my LIFE for the Sheep.
16. And other Sheep have, which are not of this Fold: them alfo I muft bring, and they fhall hear my Voice; and there fhall be one Fold, and one Shepherd.
17. Therefore doth my Father LOVE me, becaufe I lay down my LIFE, that I might take it again.
18. No Man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of my
(a) Pfalm xxiii, 1. The Lord is my SHEPHERD, I fhall not want. green Paftures: he leadeth me befide the still Waters.
2. He maketh me to lie down in
3. He reftoreth my SOUL: he leadeth me in the PATHS of Righteoufnefs for his Name's fake.
4. Yea though I WALK through DEATH, I will fear no EVIL: for the VALLEY of the SHADOW of thou art with me, thy Rod and thy Staff comfort me.
5. Thou prepareft a Table before thou anointeft my Head with Oil, me in the Prefence of my Enemies:
my Cup runneth over.
6. Surely GOODNESS and MERmy Life: and I will dwell in the Chall follow me all the Days of
.Houfe of the Lord for ever.
Pf. lxxx, 1. Give ear, O SHEPHERD of Ifrael, thou that leadeft
Jofeph like a FLOCK, thou that dwel
leit between the Cherubims, fhine forth.
Ifai. xl. 11. He hall feed his FLOCK like a SHEPHERD he shall
gather the Lambs with his Arm, and carry them in his Bofom, and fhall gently lead those that are with
Chap. liii. 6. All we like SHEEP have gone aftray; we have turned every one to his own way, and the Lord hath laid on him the INIQUITY of us all.
7. He was oppreffed, and he was AFFLICTED, yet he opened not his Mouth He is brought as a LAMB to the Slaughter, and as a SHEEP before her Shearer is dumb, fo he
openeth not his Mouth.
of the Lord came unto me, faying, (b) Ezek. xxxiv. 1. And the Word 2. Son of Man, prophefy againit
felf: I have Power to lay it down, and I have Power to take it again. This Commandment have I received of my Father.
19. There was a Divifion therefore again among the Jews for thefe Sayings.
20. And many of them faid, He hath a Devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?
21. Others faid, Thefe are not the Words of him that hath a Devil: Can a Devil open the Eyes of the Blind? 22. And it was at Ferufalem, the Feaft of the Dedication, and it was Winter.
23. And Fefus walked in the Temple in Solomon's Porch.
24. Then came the Jews round about him, and faid unto him, How long doft thou make us to doubt? If thou be the CHRIST, tell us plainly.
25. Jefus anfwered them, I told you, and ye BELIEVED not: The Works that I do in my Father's Name, they bear witnefs of me.
26. But ye BELIEVE not; because ye are not of my SHEEP, as I faid unto you. 27. (c) My Sheep hear my Voice, and I know them, and they follow me.
28.(d)And I give unto them Eternal LIFE, and they fhall never PERISH, neither fhall any pluck them out of my Hand.
29. My Father which gave them
the SHEPHERDS of Ifrael, prophefy and fay unto them, Thus faith the Lord God unto the Shepherds, Wo be to the Shepherds of Ifrael that do feed themselves: fhould not the Shepherds feed the FLOCKS?
10. Behold, I am against the Shepherds, and I will require my FLOCK at their Hand, and cause them to ceafe from feeding the Flock, neither fhall the Shepherds feed themfelves any more; for I will deliver my FLOCK from their Mouth, that they may not be Meat for them. Behold, I, even I will both fearch my Sheep, and feek them out.
11. For thus faith the Lord God,
23. And I will fet up ONE SHEPHERD Over them, and he shall feed
them, even my Servant David; he fhall feed them, and he shall be their Shepherd.
24. And I the Lord will be their GOD, and my Servant David a Prince among them; I the Lord have spoken it.
Ifai. vi, 10. His WATCHMEN are blind they are all ignorant, they are all dumb Dogs, they cannot bark; fleeping, lying down, loving to fiumber.
11. Yea, they are greedy Dogs which can never have enough, and they are Shepherds that cannot underítand: they all look to their own way, every one for his Gain, from his Quarter.
1 Pet. ii. 25. For ye were as Sheep going aftray; but are now returned unto the SHEPHERD and BISHOP
of your SOULS.
Acts xx. 28. Take heed therefore unto your felves, and to all the FLOCK, over the which the HOLY GHOST hath made you Overfeers, to feed the Church of God which he hath purchased with his own Blood.
29. For I know this, that after my departing thall grievous Wolves enter in among you, not fparing the FLOCK.
30. Alfo of your own felves fhall Men arife, fpeaking perverse things, to draw away Difciples after them.
(c) 2 Tim. ii. 19. Nevertheless, the Foundation of God ftandeth fure, having this Scal, The Lord KNOWETH thofe that are his.
(d) Phil. i. 6. Being confident of
them me, is greater than all and none is able to pluck them out of my Father's Hand. 30. I and MY FATHER
31. Then the Jews took up Stones again to ftone him. 32. Jefus anfwered them, Many GOOD WORKS have I fhewed you from my Father; for which of these Works do ye ftone me?
33. The Jews answered him, faying, For a good Work we ftone thee not; but for Blafphemy, and because that thou, being a Man, makeft thy felf God.
34. Fefus anfwered them, Is it not written in your Law, I faid, Ye are Gods?
35. If he called them Gods, unto whom the WORD of GOD came, and the Scripture cannot be broken :
36. Say ye of him, whom the Father hath fanctified, and fent into the World, Thou blafphemeft; because I faid, I am the Son of GOD?
37. If I do not the Works my Father, BELIEVE me
21. Make you perfect in every good Work to do his WILL, working in you that which is well pleafing in his Sight, through Jesus Chrift; to whom be Glory for ever and ever. Amen.
1 Pet. v. 2. Feed the FLOCK of the Overfight thereof, not by ConGod which is among you, taking traint, but WILLINGLY; not for filthy Lucre, but of a ready Mind;
God's Heritage, but being Enfamples to the FLOCK.
3. Neither as being Lords over
4. And when the CHIEF SHEPHERD fhall appear, ye fhall receive a Crown of Glory that fadeth not away.
38. But if I do, though ve BELIEVE not me, BELIEVE the Works that ye may know and believe that the Father is in me, and I in him. 39. Therefore they fought again to take him, but he efcaped out of their Hand:
40. And went away again beyond Jordan, into the Place where John at firft baptized; and there he abode. 41. And many reforted unto him, and faid, John did no Miracle: but all things that John fpake of this Man
42. And many BELIEVED on him there.
CHRIST'S Answer to the Pharifees Queftion about paying Tribute to Cefar.
Matt. xxii. 15. Mark xii. 12. Luke xx. 20.
ND [M] then the Pharifees [Mr.] left him,
[Mr and went their way, [M] and took Counfel
how they might intangle him in his talk. [Z.] And they watched him, and fent forth Spies which fhould feign themselves juft Men, [Mr.] certain of the Pharifees [M] their Difciples, with the Herodians, [Mr.] to catch him in his Words, and [L.] that they might take hold of his Words, that fo they might deliver him unto the Power and Authority of the Governour. [Mr.] And when they were come, [Z.] they asked him, [M.] faying [Mr.] unto him, [M] Mafter, we know that thou art true, [L.] that thou fayeft and teachest rightly, [Mr.] and careft for no Man; for thou regardeft not the Perfon of Men, [L.] neither accepteft thou the Perfon, [Mr.] but teacheit the Way of God in Truth. [M] Tell us therefore, What thinkeft thou, [L] Is it lawful for us to give Tribute unto Cefar, or no? Mr.] Shall we give, or fhall we not give? [M] But Jefus perceived their Wickedness, and [Mr.] knowing their Hypocrify, [L.] he perceived their Craftinefs, and faid unto them, [M] Why TEMPT ye me, ye HYPOCRITES? [Mr.] Bring and [M] fhew me [Mr.] a Peny, [M] the Tribute Money, [Mr.] that I may fee it. [M] And they brought unto him a Peny. And he faith unto them, [Z.] Whofe Image and Superfcription hath it ? [M.] Whofe is this Image and Superfcription? [Mr.] And [L. they answered and faid [Mr.] unto him, Cefar's. Jefus anfwering, faid unto them, [M] Render (a) therefore unto Cefar, the Things which are Cefar's; and unto GoD, the Things that are GOD's. And when they had heard thefe Words, [Mr. they marvelled at him: [L.] And they could not take hold of his Words before the Peo
(a) Rom. xiii. 1. Let every Soul be SUBJECT unto the higher Pow ers. For there is no Power but of GOD: the Powers that be, are ordained of GOD.
2. Whofoever therefore refifteth the Power, refifteth the Ordinance of Gon: and they that RESIST, fhall receive to themselves DAMNA
3. For Rulers are not a Terror to GOOD WORKS, but to the EVIL. ple; 7. Ren