« VorigeDoorgaan »
59. Then took they up Stones to caft at him: but Jefus hid himfelf, and went out of the Temple, going through the midst of them, and fo paffed by.
vant whom I have chosen: that yẹ may KNOW and BELIEVE me, and understand that I AM HE.
11. I, even I AM the LORD, and
befide me there is NO SAVIOUR.
12. I have declared, and have SAVED, and I have fhewed, when there was no ftrange God among you: therefore ye are my Witnef
fes, faith the Lord, that I AM GOD.
13. Yea, before the Day was, I AM HE; and there is none that can deliver out of my Hand: I will work, and who fhall let it?
14. Thus faith the Lord your REDEEMER, the HOLY ONE of Ifrael,· 15. I AM the LORD, your HOLY ONE, the Creator of Ifrael, your KING.
25. I, even I AM he that BLOTTETH OUT thy Tranfgreffions, for mine own fake, and will not remember thy SINS.
See Page 1. Of the Divinity of our Saviour.
CHRIST avows himself to be the Messiah reprefented by the Prophets under the Emblem of a Shepherd; and by this Parable defcribes the Paftoral Office, and gives the Character of falfe Teach
John Erily, verily I fay unto you, He that entreth not by the Door into the Sheepfold, but climbeth up fome other way, the fame is a Thief and a Robber.
2. But he that entreth in by the Door, is the Shepherd of the Sheep.
3. To him the Porter openeth; and the Sheep hear his Voice: and he calleth his own Sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own Sheep, he goeth before them, and the Sheep follow him: for they know his Voice.
5. And a Stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him for they know not the Voice of Strangers.
6. This Parable fpake Jefus unto them: but they underitood not what Things they were which he fpake un:o
7. Then faid Jefus unto them again, Verily, verily I fay unto you, I am the Door of the SHEEP.
8. All that ever came before me, are Thieves and Robbers but the Sheep did not hear them.
9. I am the Door: by me if any Man enter in, he fhall be SAVED, and fhall go in and out, and find Pafture.
10. The Thief cometh not but for to fteal, and to kill, and to deftroy: I am come, that they might have LIFE, and that they might have it more abundantly.
11. I (a) am the GOOD SHEPHERD: the good Shep herd giveth his LIFE for the SHEEP.
12. But (b) he that is an HIRELING, and not the Shep-, 4. Yea though I WALK through the VALLEY of the SHADOW of
herd, whofe own the Sheep are not, feeth the Wolf coming, and leaveth the Sheep, and fleeth: and the Wolf catcheth them, and fcattereth the Sheep.
DEATH, I will fear no EVIL: for thou art with me, thy Rod and thy Staff comfort me.
5. Thou prepareft a Table before me in the Prefence of thou anointeft my Head with Oil, my Enemies: my Cup runneth over.
13. The Hireling fleeth, because he is an Hireling, and careth not for the Sheep.
14. I am the GOOD SHEPHERD, and KNOW my Sheep, and am KNOWN of mine.
15. As the Father knoweth me, even fo know I the Father and I lay down my LIFE for the Sheep.
16. And other Sheep have, which are not of this Fold: them alfo I muft bring, and they fhall hear my Voice; and there fhall be one Fold, and one Shepherd.
(a) Psalm xxiii, 1. The Lord is my SHEPHERD, I fhall not want. green Paftures: he leadeth me befide the ftill Waters.
2. He maketh me to lie down in
3. He reftoreth my Soul: he leadeth me in the PATHS of Righteoufnefs for his Name's fake.
17. Therefore doth my Father LOVE me, becaufe I lay down my LIFE, that I might take it again.
18. No Man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of my felf:
6. Surely GooDNESS and MERCY fhall follow me all the Days of
my Life and I will dwell in the Houfe of the Lord for ever.
Pf. lxxx, 1. Give ear, O SHEPHERD of Ifrael, thou that leadeft
Jofeph like a FLOCK, thou that dwel
leit between the Cherubims, fhine forth.
Ifai. xl. 11. He hall feed his
FLOCK like a SHEPHERD: he fhall gather the Lambs with his Arm, and carry them in his Bofom, and fhall gently lead thofe that are with
Chap. liii. 6. All we like SHEEP have gone aftray; we have turned every one to his own way, and the Lord hath laid on him the INIQUITy of us all.
7. He was oppreffed, and he was AFFLICTED, yet he opened not his Mouth: He is brought as a LAMB to the Slaughter, and as a SHEEP before her Shearer is dumb, so he openeth not his Mouth.
(b) Ezek. xxxiv. 1. And the Word of the Lord came unto me, faying, 2. Son of Man, prophefy against
the SHEPHERDS of Ifrael, prophefy and fay unto them, Thus faith the Lord God unto the Shepherds, Wo be to the Shepherds of Ifrael that do feed themselves: fhould not the Shepherds feed the FLOCKS?
10. Behold, I am against the Shepherds, and I will require my FLOCK at their Hand, and cause them to ceafe from feeding the Flock, neither fhall the Shepherds feed themfelves any more; for I will deliver my FLOCK from their Mouth, that they may not be Meat for them.
II. For thus faith the Lord God, Behold, I, even I will both fearch my Sheep, and seek them out.
23. And I will set up ONE SHEPHERD Over them, and he shall feed
them, even my Servant David; he fhall feed them, and he shall be their Shepherd.
24. And I the Lord will be their GOD, and my Servant David a Prince among them; I the Lord have spoken it.
Ifai. Ivi. 10. His WATCHMEN are blind they are all ignorant, they are all dumb Dogs, they cannot bark; fleeping, lying down, loving to flumber.
11. Yea, they are greedy Dogs which can never have enough, and they are Shepherds that cannot underítand: they all look to their own way, every one for his Gain, from his Quarter.
1 Pet. ii. 25. For ye were as Sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the SHEPHERD and BISHOP
of your SOULS.
Acts xx. 28. Take heed therefore unto your felves, and to all the FLOCK, over the which the HOLY GHOST hath made you Overfeers, to feed the Church of God which he hath purchased with his own Blood.
29. For I know this, that after my departing thall grievous Wolves enter in among you, not fparing the FLOCK.
Men arife, fpeaking perverfe things, 30. Alfo of your own felves fhall to draw away Difciples after them.
(c) 2 Tim. ii. 19. Nevertheless, the Foundation of God ftandeth fure, having this Scal, The Lord KNOWETH thofe that are his.
(d) Phil. i. 6. Being confident of
them me, is greater than all: and none is able to pluck them out of my Father's Hand.
30. I and MY FATHER
31. Then the Jews took up Stones again to ftone him. 32. Jefus anfwered them, Many GOOD WORKS have I fhewed you from my Father; for which of these Works do ye ftone me?
33. The Jews answered him, faying, For a good Work we ftone thee not; but for Blafphemy, and because that thou, being a Man, makeft thy felf God.
34 Fefus anfwered them, Is it not written in your Law, I faid, Ye are Gods?
35. If he called them Gods, unto whom the WORD of GOD came, and the Scripture cannot be broken :
36. Say ye of him, whom the Father hath fanctified, and fent into the World, Thou blafphemeft; becaufe I faid, I am the Son of GOD?
37. If I do not the Works of my Father, BELIEVE me
this very thing, that he which hath begun a GOOD WORK in you, will perform it until the Day of Jefus Chrift.
2 Pet. i. 10. Wherefore the rather, Brethren, give Diligence to make your CALLING and ELECTION fure: for if ye do the fe Things, ye fhall never FALL: miniftred unto you abundantly, into the everlasting KINGDOM of our Lord and SAVIOUR Jefu Chrift.
11. For fo an Entrance fhall be
Jude 24. Now unto him that is ABLE to keep you from FALLING, and to prefent you faultlefs before the Prefence of his Glory with exceeding Joy,
25. To the only wife GoD our SAVIOUR, be Glory and Majesty, Dominion and Power, both now and ever. Amen.
Heb. xiii. 20. Now the God of Peace, that brought again from the
Dead' our Lord Jefus, that great SHEPHERD of the SHEEP, through the Blood of the everlasting CovE
21. Make you perfect in every good Work to do his WILL, working in you that which is well pleafSight, through Chrift; to whom be Glory for ever and ever. Amen.
1 Pet. v. 2. Feed the FLOCK of God which is among you, taking the Overfight thereof, not by Contraint, but WILLINGLY, not for filthy Lucre, but of a ready Mind;
3. Neither as being Lords over
God's Heritage, but being Enfamples to the FLOCK.
4. And when the CHIEF SHEPHERD fhall appear, ye fhall receive a Crown of Glory that fadeth not away.
38. But if I do, though ve BELIEVE not me, BELIEVE the Works that ye may know, and believe that the Father is in me, and I in him. 39. Therefore they fought again to take him, but he efcaped out of their Hand:
40. And went away again beyond Jordan, into the Place where John at first baptized; and there he abode.
41. And many reforted unto him, and faid, John did no Miracle: but all things that John fpake of this Man
42. And many BELIEVED on him there.
CHRIST's Answer to the Pharifees Queftion about paying Tribute to Cefar.
Matt. xxii. 15. Mark xii. 12. Luke xx. 20. [Mr.]AN ND [M] then the Pharifees [Mr.] left him, and went their way, [M] and took Counfel how they might intangle him in his talk. [L.] And they watched him, and fent forth Spies which fhould feign themselves juft Men, [Mr.] certain of the Pharifees [AZ] their Difciples, with the Herodians, [Mr.] to catch him in his Words, and [L.] that they might take hold of his Words, that fo they might deliver him unto the Power and Authority of the Governour. [Mr.] And when they were come, [.] they asked him, [M] faying [Mr.] unto him, [M] Mafter, we know that thou art true, [L] that thou fayeft and teachest rightly, [Mr.] and careft for no Man; for thou regardeft not the Perfon of Men, [L.] neither accepteft thou the Perfon, [Mr.] but teacheit the Way of God in Truth. [M] Tell us therefore, What thinkeft thou, [L.] Is it lawful for us to give Tribute unto Cefar, or no? Mr. Shall we give, or fhall we not give? [M] But Jefus perceived their Wickednefs, and [Mr.] knowing their Hypocrify, [.] he perceived their Craftinefs, and faid unto them, [M] Why TEMPT ye me, ye HYPOCRITES? [Mr.] Bring and [M] fhew me [Mr.] a Peny, [M] the Tribute Money, [Mr.] that I may fee it. [M] And they brought unto him a Peny. And he faith unto them, [L.] Whofe Image and Superfcription hath it? [M.] Whofe is this Image and Superfcription? [Mr.] And [L.] they answered and faid [Mr.] unto him, Cefar's. Jefus anfwering, faid unto them, [M] Render (a) therefore unto Cefar, the Things which are Cefar's; and unto Gop, the Things that are GOD's. And when they had heard thefe Words, [Mr. they marvelled at him: [L.] And they could not take hold of his Words before the People;
(a) Rom. xiii. 1. Let every Soul be SUBJECT unto the higher Powers. For there is no Power but of
GOD: the Powers that be, are ordained of GoD.
2. Whosoever therefore refifteth the Power, refifteth the Ordinance of God; and they that RESIST, fhall receive to themfelves DAMNA TION.
GOOD WORKS, but to the EVIL.