« VorigeDoorgaan »
55. That upon you may come all the righteous Blood fhed upon the Earth, from the Blood of righteous Abel, unto the Blood of Zacharias Son of Barachias, whom ye flew between the Temple and the Altar.
36. Verily I fay unto you, All these Things fhall come upon this Generation.
37. O Jerufalem, Jerufalem, thou that killeft the Prophets, and ftoneft them which are fent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy Children together, even as a Hen gathereth her Chickens under her Wings, and ye would not!
38. Behold, your Houfe is left unto you, defolate.
39. For I fay unto you, Ye fhall not fee me henceforth, till ye fhall fay, Bleffed is he that cometh in the Name of the Lord.
CHRIST reproves the Pharifees for their Superftition about the Sabbath; with which they are fo enraged, that they endeavour to deftroy him. He withdraws himself from them, and heals great Multitudes.
went on the
Matt. xii. t. thro' the Corn, and his Difciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the Ears of Corn, and to eat. 2. But when the Pharifees faw it, they faid unto him, Behold, thy Difciples do that which is not lawful to du upon the Sabbath-day.
3. But he faid unto them, Have ye not read what David did when he was an hungred, and they that were with him,
4. How he entred into the Houfe of GOD, and did eat the Shew-bread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the Priefts?
5. Or have ye not read in the Law, how that on the Sab
Sabbath-days the Priefts in the Temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?
6. But I fay unto you, that in this Place is one greater than the Temple.
7. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have MERCY and not SACRIFICE, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8. For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath-day. 14. Then the Pharifees went out, and held a Counfel against him, how they might destroy him.
15. But when Jefus knew it, he withdrew himself from thence: and great Multitudes followed him, and he healed them all,
16. And charged them that they fhould not make him.
*See Ifaiah xlii. 1,&c.
17. That it might be fulfilled which was fpoken by Efaias the Prophet, faying, 18. Behold, my Servant whom I have chofen, my beloved in whom my Soul is well pleased: I will put my Spirit upon him, and he fhall fhew Judgment to the Gen
19. He fhall not ftrive, nor cry, neither shall any Man hear his Voice in the Streets. 20.A (a) bruifed Reed fhall he not break, and fmoaking Flax fhall he not quench, till he fend forth JUDGMENT unto VICTORY.
(a) Pfal. lxxii. 1. Give the KING thy JUDGMENTS, O GOD, and thy Righteousness unto the King's Son.
2. He fhall JUDGE thy People with Righteousness, and thy Poor with JUDGMENT.
21. And in his Name fhall the Gentiles truft.
12. He fhall deliver the NEEDY when he crieth, the Poor alfo, and him that hath no Helper.
NEEDY, and fhall fave the SOULS 13. He fhall SPARE the Poor and of the Needy.
14. He fhall redeem their SOUL
from Deceit and Violence: and precious ball their Blood be in his Sight.
Pf. xxxi. 23. O love the Lord, all ye his Saints: for the Lord preferveth the FAITHFUL, and plentifully rewardeth the PROUD Doer. 24. Be of good Courage, and he that hope in the Lord.
fhall ftrengthen your Heart, all ye Pf. ciii. 13. Like as a Father pitieth his Children: fo the Lord PITIETH them that FEAR him.
14. For he hnoweth our FRAME, he remembreth that we are DUST. Pf. cxix. 28. My Soul melteth for HEAVINESS: strengthen thou me according unto thy WORD.
82. Mine Eyes fail for thy WORD, faying, When wilt thou
I not forget
Pf. cxlvii. 3. He healeth the BROKEN in HEART, and bindeth up their Wounds.
83. For I am become like a Bottle in the Smoak: yet do thy Statutes,
2 Cor. xii. 9. And he, faid unto me, My GRACE is fufficient for thee: for my STRENGTH is made perfect in WEAKNESS. Moft gladly therefore will I rather glory in my Infirmities, that the POWER of Chrift may rest upon me.
10. Therefore I take Pleasure in INFIRMITIES, in Reproaches, in Neceffities, in Perfecutions, in Diftreffes for Chrift's fake for when I am WEAK, then am I STRONG.
Phil. iv. 13. I can do all Things through Chrift Jefus strengthning me. Heb. xi. 33. Who through FAITH fubdued Kingdoms, wrought Righteoufnefs, obtained Promifes, out of Weakness were made STRONG.
CHRIST'S Discourse in the Temple, at the Feast of Tabernacles. Many of the Jews acknowledge him to be the Meffiah. The Chief Priests send their Officers to take him.
Our Saviour promifes the Gift of the Holy Ghoft, which fo affected the Officers, that they declared to the HighPrieft that never Man spake like him.
John AFTER these Things, Jefus walked in Galilee: 1. for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews fought to kill him.
2. Now the Jews Feast of Tabernacles was at hand. 3. His Brethren therefore faid unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judea, that thy Disciples alfo may see the Works that thou doft.
4. For there is no Man that doth any thing in fecret, and he himself feeketh to be known openly: If thou do thefe Things, fhew thy felf to the World.
5. For neither did his Brethren believe in him.
6. Then Jefus faid unto them, My Time is not yet come but your Time is alway ready.
7. The World cannot hate you; but me it hateth, becaufe I teftify of it, that the Works thereof are Evil.
8. Go ye up unto this Feaft: I go not up yet unto this Feaft, for my Time is not yet full come.
9. When he had faid thefe Words unto them, he abode ftill in Galilee.
10. But when his Brethren were gone up, then went he alfo up unto the Feaft, not openly, but as it were in fe
11. Then the Jews fought him at the Feast, and faid, Where is he?
12. And there was much murmuring among the People concerning him: for fome faid, He is a good Man: others faid, Nay; but he deceiveth the People.
13. Howbeit, no Man fpake openly of him, for fear of the Fers.
14. Now about the midst of the Feaft, Jefus went up into the Temple, and taught.
15. And the Jews marvelled,
this Man Letters, having never learned ?
faying, How knoweth
16. Fefus answered and faid, My Doctrine is not mine, but his that fent me.
17. If any Man will do his Will, he fhall know of the Doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of my felf.
18. He that speaketh of himself, fecketh his own Glory: but he that feeketh his Glory that fent him, the fame is true, and no Unrighteousness is in him.
19. Did not Mofes give you the Law, yet none of you keepeth the Law? Why go ye about to kill me?
20. The People answered and faid, Thou hast a Devil: Who goeth about to kill thee?
21. Jefus anfwered and faid unto them, I have done one Work, and ye all marvel.
22. Mofes therefore gave unto you Circumcifion, (not because it is of Mofes, but of the Fathers) and ye on the Sabbath-day circumcife a Man.
23. If a Man on the Sabbath-day receive Circumcifion, that the Law of Mofes fhould not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a Man every whit whole on the Sabbath-day?
24. Judge not according to the Appearance, but judge righteous Judgment.
25. Then faid fome of them of Jerufalem, Is not this he whom they feek to kill?
25. But lo, he fpeaketh boldly, and they say nothing unto him: Do the Rulers know indeed that this is the very CHRIST?
27. Howbeit, we know this Man whence he is: but when CHRIST cometh, no Man knoweth whence he is.
28. Then cried Jefus in the Temple as he taught, faying, Ye both know me, and ye know whence I am : and I am not come of my felf, but he that fent me is true, whom ye know not.
29. But I know him, for I am from him, and he hath fent me.
30. Then they fought to take him: but no Man laid Hands on him, becaufe his Hour was not yet come.
31. And many of the People BELIEVED on him, and faid, When CHRIST cometh, will he do more MIRACLES than these which this Man hath done?
32. The Pharifees heard that the People murmured fuch Things concerning him: and the Pharifees and the Chief Priests fent Officers to take him.
33. Then faid Jefus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you, and then I go unto him that fent me.
34. Ye fhall feek me, and fhall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come.
35. Then faid the Jews among themselves, Whither will he go, that we shall not find him? Will he go unto the difperfed among the Gentiles, and teach the Gentiles?
36. What manner of Saying is this that he faid, Ye fhall feek me, and fhall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come ?
37. In the last Day, that great Day of the Feaft, Jefus flood and cried, saying, If any Man * thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38. He that BELIEVETH on me, as the Scripture hath faid, out of his Belly fhall flow RIVERS of LIVING WATER.
39. (But this fpake he of the SPIRIT which they that BELIEVE on him fhould receive: for the HOLY GHOST WAS not yet given, because that Jefus was not yet GLORIFIED) 40. Many of the People therefore, when they heard this Saying, faid, Of a Truth, this is the PROPHET.
See References against John IV. Of the GRACES of the HOLY GHOST, reprefented by WATER.