and raised his head two or three times with all my strength, and brought it in. I soon perceived his neck began to grow stiff again, and then he began to rattle in the throat, and quickly after to breathe. The people were amazed; but I bid them have a good heart, and be of good faith, and carry him into the house. They did so, and set him by the fire; but I bid them get him some warm thing to drink, and put him to bed. After he had been in the house ' a while he began to speak, but did not know where he had been. The next day we passed away (and he with us, pretty well) about sixteen miles to a meeting at Middletown, through woods and bogs, and over a river, where we swam our horses, and got over ourselves upon a hollow tree; and many hundred of miles did he travel with us after this.

To this meeting came most of the people of the town, and a glorious meeting we had; and the truth was over all, blessed be the great Lord God for ever! After the meeting we went to Middletown harbour, about five miles, in order to take our long journey next morning, through the woods towards Maryland; having hired Indians for our guides; for I determined to pass through the woods on the other side of Delaware-bay, that so we inight head the creeks and rivers as much as was possible. So on the ninth day of the seventh month we set forwards, and passed through many Indian towns, and over some rivers and bogs; and when we had ridden about forty miles, we made us a fire at night, and lay by it. As we came among the Indians we declared the day of the Lord to them. Next day we travelled fifty miles (as we computed ;) and at night finding an old house, which the Indians had forced the people to leave, we made a fire and lay there, at the head of Delaware-bay. The next day we swam our horses over a river about a mile, at twice, first to an island called Upper Dinidock, and then to the main land; having hired Indians to help us over in their canoes. This day we could reach but about thirty miles, and came at night to a Swede's house, where we got a little straw, and lay there that night. Next day, having bired another guide, we travelled about forty miles through the woods, and made us a fire at night, by which we lay and dried ourselves; for we were often wet in our travels in the day-time. The next day we passed over a desperate river, which had in it many rocks and broad stones, very hazardous to us and our horses.

From thence we came to Christian-river, where we swam over our horses, and went over ourselves in canoes; but the sides of this river were so bad and

miry, that some of the horses had like to have been laid up. From thence we came to a town called Newcastle, heretofore called New Amsterdam; and being very weary, and inquiring in the town where we might buy some corn for our horses, the governor came into the street and invited me to his house; and afterwards desired me to lodge there, telling me he had a bed for me, and I should be welcome. So I staid there, the other friends being taken care of also. This was on the seventh day of the week; and he offering his house for a meeting, we had a meeting there the next day, a pretty large one ; for the chief of the town, and indeed most of the town were at it. Here had never been a meeting before, nor any within a great way of it; but this was a very precious one, and many of the people, both men and women, were tender, and confessed to the truth, and some received it, blessed be the Lord for ever !

On the sixteenth of the seventh month we set forward again from hence, and travelled (as near as we could compute) about fifty miles that day, through the woods and over the bogs, heading Bohemia river and Saxifrax river. At night we made us a fire (as we used to do) in the woods, and lay there all night, and it being rainy weather, we got under some thick trees for shelter, and afterwards dried ourselves again by the fire. Next day we waded through Chester-river, a very broad water, and afterwards passing through many bad bogz, lay that night also in the woods by a fire ; not having gone (by reason of bindrances in the river and bogs) above thirty miles that day. But on the day following we travelled hard; and though we had some troublesome bogs in our way, we rode about fifty miles; and got safe that night, but very weary, to a friend's house, one Robert Harwood, at Miles river in Maryland. This was the eighteenth day of the seventh month; and though we were very weary, and much dirtied with getting through the bogs in our journey, yet hearing of a meeting next day, we went to it, and from it to John Edmundson's; from whence we went three or four miles by water to a meeting on the first-day following. At this meeting there was a judge's wife, who had never been at any of our meetings before; and she was reached, and said after the meeting, she had rather hear us once than the priests a thousand times. Many others also of the world's people that were there, were very well satisfied, for the power of the Lord was eminently with and amongst us; blessed for ever be his holy name! We passed from thence about twenty-two miles, and had a

meeting upon the Kentish shore, to which one of the judges came; and a good meeting it was. Then, after we had had another good meeting hard by there, at one Henry Wil. cock's house, where also we had good service for the Lord; we went by water about twenty miles to a very Jarge meeting, where were some hundreds of the world's people, and divers of the chief rank, both English and Indians; for there were four justices of the peace, and the high-sheriff of Delaware, and some others from thence; and there was an Indian emperor or governor, and two others of the chief men among the Indians. With these Indians I had a good opportunity the night before the meeting, and I spake to them by an interpreter; and they heard the truth attentively, and were very loving,

A blessed meeting this was, and of great service, both for convincing, and establishing in the truth them that were convinced of it; blessed be the Lord, who causeth his blessed truth to spread. After the meeting a woman came to me, (whose husband was one of the judges of that part of the country, and a member of the parliament or assembly there) and told me, her husband was sick, not like to live; and desired me to go home with her to see him.

It was three miles to her house; and I being just come hot out of the meeting, it was hard for me then to go; yet considering the service, I got an horse and went with her, and visited her husband, and spake what the Lord gave me to him; and the man was much refreshed, and finely raised up by the power of the Lord; and he afterwards came to our meetings. I went back again to the friends that night; and next day we departed thence, and went about nineteen or twenty miles to Tredhaven-creek, to John Edmundson's again; from whence, on the third of the eighth month, we went to the general meeting for all Maryland friends.

This meeting held five days together, the first three days we had meetings for public worship, to which people of all sorts came; the other two days were spent in the men's and women's meetings. To those public meetings came many of the world, both protestants of divers sorts and some papists; and amongst these were several magistrates and their wives, and other persons of chief account in the country; and of the common people there were so many, besides friends, that they thought there were sometimes a thousand people at one of those meetings. So that although they had not long before enlarged their meetingplace, and made it as big again as it was before, yet it could not contain the people. I went by boat every day

four or five miles to the meeting, and there were so many boats at that time passing upon the river, that it was almost like the Thames; and people said there were never so many boats seen there together before. And as the concourse of people was very great (so that one of the justices who was there said, he never saw so many people together in that country before), so it was a very heavenly meeting, wherein the presence of the Lord was gloriously manifested, and friends were thereby sweetly refreshed, and the people generally satisfied, and many convinced ; for the blessed power of the Lord was over all'; everlasting praises to his holy name for ever. After the public meet. ings were over, the men's and women's meetings began, and were held the other two days; for I had something to impart to them which concerned the glory of God and the order of the gospel, and the government of Christ Jesus, So when these meetings were all over, we took our leaves of friends in those parts; whom we left well established in the truth (which is of good report amongst the people there, and great enquirings there are after it amongst all sorts of people.) And upon the tenth day of the eighth month we went from thence about thirty miles by water, passing by Cranes Island, and Swan Island, and Kent Island, in very foul weather and much rain; whereby (our boat being open) we were not only very much wetted, but in great danger of being overset; insomuch that some of the world thought we could not have escaped casting away, till they saw us come to shore next morning. But blessed be God, we were very well. And having got a little house, and dried our clothes by the fire, and refreshed ourselves a little, we betook us to our boat again; and put off from land, sometimes sailing and sometimes rowing; but having very foul weather that day too, we could not get above twelve miles forward that day. At night we got to land, and made us a fire, and some lay by that, and some lay by a fire at an house a little way off. Then, next morning pursuing our journey, we passed over the great bay, and sailed about forty miles that day; and making to shore at night, we lay there, some in the boat, and some at an alehouse by. Next morning (it being the first-day of the week) we went six or seven miles to a friend's house, who was a justice of the peace; where we had a meeting that day; and this was a little above the head of the great bay. So we were almost four days upon the water weary with rowing; yet all was very well, blessed and praised be the Lord, We went next day to another friend's house, near the head of Hatton's Island, where we had good service amongst

friends and others; as we had also the day following at George Wilson's, a friend that lived about three miles further; where we had a very precious meeting, there being a great tenderness amongst the people.

After this meeting we sailed thence about ten miles to James Frizby's (who was a justice of the peace) and there on the sixteenth of the eighth month, we had a very large meeting, at which, besides friends, were some hundreds of people as it was supposed, and amongst them were several justices of the peace, and captains, and the sheriff, with other persons of note in the world's account. A blessed heavenly meeting this was, and a powerful, thundering testimony for truth was borne therein; and a great sense there was upon the people, and a great brokenness and tenderness was amongst them. We staid after meeting till about the eleventh hour in the night, that the tide turned, and was with us; and then taking boat again, we passed that night and the next day about fifty miles, to another friend's house. The two next days we made short journies, visiting friends, and on the twentieth we had a great meeting at a place called Severn, where there was a meetingplace, but not large enough to hold the people by many; for the people of those parts came generally to it. Divers of the chief magistrates were at it, and many other consi. derable people, and it gave then generally great satisfaction. Two days after we had a meeting with some that walked disorderly, and we had good service in it. Then spending a day or two in visiting friends thereabouts, we passed to the western shore; and on the twenty-fifth day had a large and precious meeting at William Coale's, where the speaker of their assembly, with his wife, and a justice of peace, and several other people of quality were present. Next day we had a meeting six or seven miles further, at Abraham Birkhead's, where many of the magistrates and upper sort of people were, and the speaker of the parliament or assemby for that country was convinced : a blessed meeting it was, praised be the Lord. We travelled on next day, and on the day following (which was the twenty-eighth of the eighth month) had a large and very precious meeting at Peter Sharp's, on the clifts, between thirty and forty miles distant from the former. Many of the magistrates and upper rank of people were at this meeting, and a heavenly meeting it was. One of the governor's council's wives was convinced, and her husband very loving to friends : and one that came from Virginia (being a justice of the peace there) was convinced, and hath a meeting since at his house. There were some pa.

« VorigeDoorgaan »