« VorigeDoorgaan »
BOARD OF AGRICULTUK
**||, STATE OF OHIO,
FORTY-NINTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
,'4i -.': .
[ORDKRID TO BK PRINTED DY
NAMES OF THE MEMBERS
STATE BOARD OF AGRICULTURE.
M. L. SULLIVANT, Columbus, O.
S. MEDARY, Columbus, O.
J. O. GEST Xenia Greene county.
F. R. Elliott Cleveland Cuyahoga county.
Jacob T. Pugslei Convenience Fayette county.
Smith Holloway St. Clairsvillc Belmont county.
Allen Trimble Hillsborough Highland county.
Cornelius Springer Meadow Farm Muskingum county.
J. M. Edwards Canfield Mahoning county.
Arthur Watts Chillicothe Ross county.
CORRESPONDING SECRETARY OF THE BOARD AND AGRICULTURAL CHEMIST OP OHIO.
Wk. W. Matheb Columbus, 0. PREFACE.
This Report is far more volumiuous than any preceding report of "the State Board, for which many reasons may be assigned.
1. More counties and county societies have sent in reports of their statistics, and of the proceedings and awards of the societies, and statements in regard to the production of staple crops, the dairy, Ac.
2. The Corresponding Secretary did not feel himself warranted in cutting down, or rejecting reports, generally prepared 'with much labor and care, and that conveyed much information that would be interesting and instructive to a very large portion of the community.
3. The proceedings and awards of premiums at some of the County Fairs, have been published, both because they contained valuable information, and because they would shew the details, and the working of the system, as a guide to societies not yet in operation.
4. The statistical reports of counties have been published as heretofore, though the main facts could be put into a tabular form, and occupy but little space, and be far more convenient for reference and for comparison, than in its present form. It is thought that those results may be tabulated with benefit hereafter.
Although there is much in this volume that to the general reader would be considered of but little value, yet little could have been omitted without impairing its usefulness.
ABSTRACT OF THE REPORT
I. Letter of the President of the Board to the Legislature of Ohio, in
General Assembly convened - 9
S. Report of the President of the Board 9
3. Proceedings of the Board during the year 1850 19
4. Treasurer's report 43,
5. Laws relating to the Ohio State Board, and to the County Agricultural
6. Directions for organizing County Agricultural Societies. (1
7. Premium Essay, on the relations of Agriculture, Commerce and Manu
factures: by Simpson Jones, of Ross county, Ohio. 65,
8. Reports of the County Agricultural Societies, and on the agricultural
statistics of the various counties, as far as replies have been received,
9. Report of the proceedings of the Pomological Congress 534
1O. List of premiums awarded at the First Ohio State Fair 611
11. Essays 660
12. Agricuttural Implements 726
13. Premium list for the Second Ohio State Fair 75S>