« VorigeDoorgaan »
This R&PORT is far more voluminous than any preceding report of the State Board, for which many reasons may be assigned.
1. More counties and county societies have sent in reports of their statistics, and of the proceedings and awards of the societies, and statements in regard to the production of staple crops, the dairy, &c.
2. The Corresponding Secretary did not feel himself warranted in cutting down, or rejecting reports, generally prepared with much labor and care, and that conveyed much information that would be interesting and instructive to a very large portion of the community.
3. The proceedings and awards of premiums at some of the County Fairs, have been published, both because they contained valuable information, and because they would shew the details, and the working of the system, as a guide to societies not yet in operation.
4. The statistical reports of counties have been published as heretofore, though the main facts could be put into a tabular form, and
and be far more convenient for reference and for comparison, than in its present form. It is thought that those results
be tabulated with benefit hereafter. Although there is much in this volume that to the general reader would be considered of but little value, yet little could have been omitted without impairing its usefulness.
occupy but little
ABSTRACT OF THE REPORT.
1. Letter of the President of the Board to the Legislature of Ohio, in
General Assembly convened .. 2. Report of the President of the Board....
9 3. Proceedings of the Board during the year 1850.
19 4. Treasurer's report 5. Laws relating to the Ohio State Board, and to the County Agricultural
Societies. 6. Directions for organizing County Agricultural Societies...
61 7. Premium Essay, on the relations of Agriculture, Commerce and Manu
factures : by Simpson Jones, of Ross county, Ohio......... 8. Reports of the County Agricultural Societies, and on the agricultural
statistics of the various counties, as far as replies have been received,
in answer to the circulars. . 9. Report of the proceedings of the Pomological Congress....
534 10. List of premiums awarded at the First Ohio State Fair..
611 11. Essays
660 12. Agricultural Implements...
726 13. Premium list for the Second Ohio State Fair