Fiscal Year 1987 Department of Energy Authorization: Basic research programs
United States. Congress. House. Committee on Science and Technology. Subcommittee on Energy Research and Production
U.S. Government Printing Office, 1986
Avis des internautes - Rédiger un commentaire
Aucun commentaire n'a été trouvé aux emplacements habituels.
Autres éditions - Tout afficher
accelerator activities addition applications areas atomic basic basic research beam budget chemical chemistry collider Committee completed construction continue cost Department detector direct discussed effective effort electron elements engineering equipment example excitation existing experimental experiments facilities field Figure force fundamental funding future heavy high energy important improved increase industry initial interactions interest involved issues Lawrence Berkeley light machine magnets major mass materials matter measurements million National Laboratory neutron nuclear physics nuclei nucleons operation opportunities particles possible present priority problems production properties proposed proton quarks questions range reactions recent recommendations request ring scattering scientific scientists structure studies surface synchrotron radiation technical techniques tion understanding United University utilization
Page 536 - Commission (NRC) and the Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA); and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)) and those requested since August 1952 to serve as the basis for "Q
Page 513 - One conclusion is cleart our universities today simply cannot respond to society's expectations for them or discharge their national responsibilities in research and education without substantially increased support.
Page 43 - Board (ERAB) and JASON, and (5) technical support on Issue papers and alternative action studies. UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SUPPORT The goal of the University Research Support (URS) program Is to help maintain strong scientific/technical research capabilities In support of the Department's long-range energy R&D mission. To accomplish this goal, the URS program provides a special Departmental focus for a...
Page 1212 - ... accelerator centers provides a unique set of experimental research capabilities, complementary to the others. The facilities at these laboratories provide the source of experimental data for most of the High Energy Physics research, more than 75% of which Is carried out by university-based scientists. In addition to research carried out using high energy accelerators in the US, the Department's High Energy Physics program supports experiments which use the capabilities of unique foreign accelerators...
Page 884 - ... represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government or any agency thereof.
Page 281 - Laboratories, the defined mission should be reshaped to include a major focus on one or more of the areas of chemistry crucial to energy technologies. And, most important, the DOE research support to universities must be increased to engage the larger chemistry community in the accomplishment of the Department's mission. While the chemistry activity at the National Laboratories is being increased, university research programs in energyn In mil areas of chemistry should be raised to be commensurate...
Page 787 - Symmetry, as wide or as narrow as you may define its meaning, is one idea by which man through the ages has tried to comprehend and create order, beauty and perfection
Page 280 - ... for almost two decades. It is quite impossible, however, to rationalize the extremely modest emphasis placed on chemistry, as embodied in the 5.3 percent figure. Chemistry and Chemical Engineering will be the dominant sciences in the energy technologies that must be developed and that we will depend upon for the rest of this century. In 1983, 92 percent of the US energy consumption was based upon chemical fuels. The small remainder, 8 percent of our use, was mostly provided by about equal contributions...
Page 350 - Awards Loeb Lecture, Harvard University, 1974. DeShalit Lecturer, Weizmann Institute, 1975. EO Lawrence Medal (US Department of Energy), 1976. Nobel Prize in Physics, 1976. National Academy of Sciences, 1977. Professional Societies American Physical Society (Fellow). American Association for the Advancement of Science (Fellow). European Physical Society. Present Committees, Consultantships and Directorships General Motors Science Advisory Committee.