[ocr errors]

courage, the other graces of the Spirit were conspicuous and exemplary. I have been instructed and humbled by the character of other good men, but by few so much so as by his.”

The Rev. William Griffith thus speaks of him : “When I heard of Mr. Poulsom’s death, I felt that Methodism had lost one of its best friends. At the time when we were in habits of frequent personal intercourse, he was a man of strict integrity and universal benevolence. He lived constantly in the fear of God, and followed peace with all men. In our various official meetings he maintained his opinions with firmness and mildness; but if a question was carried against him, he would come forward to promote its execution as readily as if it had agreed with his own views, or had originated with himself. Neither can I overlook what I could almost call his boundless generosity in the support of the cause of religion among us. Even when his means became less extensive than they had been, he would not suffer that cause to lack support on his account. He was faithful in every office to which he was appointed, and diligent in his attendance on all the means of grace. I never knew him idly, or in common conversation, speak evil of any man; although, if required by duty to refer to the character of another, he would state what he believed to be the truth, without extenuation and without aggravation. I have the remembrance of him, and it is about five-and-twenty years since I was accustomed to meet with him,) as of a man who set the Lord constantly before him, and always acted as in His immediate presence."

The Rev. Joseph Lewis, who was in the Circuit when Mr. Poulsom died, thus briefly describes his character: “ His religious experience was deep and progressive. His views of Christian morality were of a high order. He was not only an upright, but a fair, tradesman ; and was much beloved by those who were in his employ. Always under the serious influence of religion, there yet was no austerity, no gloom, about him. A peculiar cheerfulness marked both his countenance and conversation; and his words and actions evinced that the law of kindness governed his heart.”

His own dying testimony was, “ All our salvation is by Christ.” His character belongs to the ordinary walks of religious and social life, and all its excellencies are imitable. What he was, he was by mercy


grace ; and they who obtain the same light and strength, and walk by the same rule, will follow him as he followed Christ.

BRIEF BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 37. DIED, October 30, 1843, of malignant fever, in Nevis, West Indies, in the twenty-second year of his age, the Rev. Arthur H. Steele, Wesleyan Missionary. Mr. Steele was a native of the island of Bermuda, and early manifested more than ordinary natural talent, which was considerably improved by education. He was naturally very humorous, with a ready flow of language, which made his company agreeable, especially to the young. At the age of nineteen, his situation was one of peculiar danger: the pleasures of the world had captivated his heart, and he appeared several times on the stage as an amateur. But his mind even then was often impressed with the importance and

necessity of a religious life. On Good-Friday, April 9th, 1841, he was deeply convinced of sin, in Hamilton chapel, while the resident Missionary was preaching, and in a few weeks obtained a clear sense of his acceptance with God. His language then was, “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do ?" His ardent desire to get good and do good, was evinced by holy zeal. He was furnished with some of the standard works of Methodism, which he read with avidity; and his profiting appeared to all. It was the opinion of the leading members of the church, that God had a work for him to do; and about four months from the time of his conversion, believing it to be his duty, he made his first attempt to preach. There was at that time only one Missionary on the station, and he had little local help ; it appeared, therefore, necessary to employ Mr. Steele sooner than prudence, perhaps, would have dictated : but though comparatively a novice, he was not lifted up with pride; he felt the great responsibility of his work, and sought that grace might be given him for the proper discharge of duty.

In July, 1842, when the Missionary, on account of ill health, was compelled to leave Bermuda for a few weeks, the care of the Circuit was left to Mr. Steele, who, to the entire satisfaction of those to whom he ministered, laboured to the utmost of his strength to promote their spiritual interests. He offered himself to the Missionary Committee, and in January, 1843, received an appointment to the island of Nevis. His piety, zeal, and diligence caused him to be much beloved by bis brethren, and the people of his charge, and God honoured him with

Under the last two sermons which he preached in Charlestown, four persons were convinced of sin. The death of the Rev. Mr. Brown, between whom and himself the strongest friendship existed, was a great shock to him. From the time of his conversion to God, it was impressed upon his mind that his time would be short; and he lived suitably to that impression. In reply to a letter written by the Rev. James Cox, informing him of the death of Mr. Brown, Mr. Steele says, “I have a full persuasion that my race is nearly run.” The words were almost prophetic: they were written only a few days before his death. The week before he died, he was slightly indisposed, and medical aid was called in. He appeared to be better, and on the Saturday rode out to Gingerland, to be ready for his Sunday work. He was seized with fever the next day, and by this his brain was so much affected, that he could say but little to his brethren. He expressed himself, however, as being able to cast all his care upon the Lord, and wait the result. The fever continued with unabated force, till, on Tuesday night, his happy spirit returned to God who gave it. It is among the inscrutable dispensations of divine Providence, that one so young and full of promise, of such deep piety and real talent, of genuine pulpit eloquence, so acceptable and useful, so amiable and affectionate, and at a time when help in the Mission field was so much needed, should be thus early and suddenly removed from his sphere of labour.' But it is the Lord, and we must “hold our peace.” “He buries his workmen, but carries on his work.”



38. Died, October 10th, Mrs. Ann Wainwright, of Willaston-Heath, near Nantwich, aged sixty-eight years. By a painful dispensation of divine Providence, she was left an orphan when very young; but her relations by whom she was brought up, paid strict attention to her morals, and took her regularly to worship at the parish church. At an early period of life her mind was brought under divine illumination; but, though strictly moral, and regularly attentive to religious duties, she found no peace to her troubled conscience, being uninformed of the way of salvation by faith in Christ Jesus. The more carefully she read the Scriptures and examined herself by them, the more conscious she became of her unfitness for heaven. While in this state, she was prevailed upon to attend the Dissenters chapel, which she and her husband did; but even there she found not what she desired. Whilst she was thus seeking rest, but not finding it, she was induced by the conversation of her pious uncle, the late Mr. Breeze, of Lea-Hall, to attend the ministry of the Wesleyans; and with them she resolved to continue. She soon after joined the society, and received her first ticket from the Rev. W. Shelmerdine, in 1803. Her attendance on the means of grace was regular and constant; but she did not obtain a satisfactory evidence of her acceptance with God until the year 1805, when she was enabled so to believe in Christ as to receive the Spirit of adoption, so that

all her doubts were removed, and her soul filled with peace and joy. From some memorandums which she has left concerning her religious experience, it appears, that, under all the exercises and trials connected with a numerous family, and the painful circumstances by which at one time the church in the place where she resided was agitated, she never lost her confidence in God as her reconciled Father, or felt her attachment to the people of her choice abated. In August, 1828, she writes, “It is now twenty-three years since the Lord shed his love abroad in my heart; and although I have been exercised with the cares of a large family, I praise the Lord that I still find that Jesus is precious.” February 5th, 1829, she says, " Of late I have had to contend with various trials ; but to-day I was comforted by remembering that passage of Scripture, ' Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise him.” In the following October she writes,

My mind has been brought low, through the death of my daughter; but the Lord still comforts me.” In July, 1834, she says, “ It is with a thankful heart I praise the Lord for the many painful trials through which he has brought me and my family; for I believe they have been sanctified to our good. I can truly say that I am firmly resolved, by his help, to live to his glory.”

During her last affliction she appeared to have withdrawn her mind from the world and all its concerns. She spoke little except on spiritual subjects. The last words she uttered were, “ All is right ; I am in Christ :' and, soon after, she calmly fell asleep in Jesus. One who had long known her, says of her, “She never had anything to say about other people's concerns. As a neighbour she was ever ready to visit the sick, and relieve the poor to her ability." Her life was a living illustration of the religion she professed.


39. Died, November 18th, aged twenty-three, Ann Holmes, who was born at Well, near Alford, Lincolnshire. Her character furnishes a bright instance of the benefits of the Wesleyan ministry among the poor, and a proof, among many others, that these schismatic Ministers, as they are termed, and who are said to be destitute of any divine commission, do yet “preach the Gospel with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven.” God owns and blesses them, though mistaken men may repudiate and anathematize them. Such reproaches they may be content to bear, while, in converted souls, they can thankfully perceive the “seals of their apostleship in the Lord.” Ann was of lowly parentage; and, at the age of nineteen, under the Methodist ministry, she was deeply convinced of sin. She saw the guilt which she had contracted by her disobedience to God, and the fearful ruin to which her deathless soul was exposed. She was alarmed, and could find no rest, till, under the same ministry, she was enabled to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and became filled with all joy and peace in believing. Her heart was filled with love to God, and by the riches of the divine mercy, she was preserved to the end of her pilgrimage, unspotted from the world. She joined the Wesleyan society, and greatly profited by the means of grace, on which she regularly attended. Although only a servant, she evinced her love to the Saviour by contributing from her earnings to the support of the ministry through which she had received the grace of God. She clothed herself in modest apparel, and by strict and persevering economy, was enabled to indulge herself, and she felt it to be a pleasing privilege, in supporting various benevolent institutions, especially the Mission cause, in which she always took a lively interest. "She faithfully discharged the duties of her situation. In this she was truly conscientious, always acting under the resolution, that in serving those by whom she was employed, she “served the Lord Christ.” Her industry, integrity, and good common sense, rendered her a valuable servant; and it was her happiness to live for several years with those who knew how to value her sterling worth. Her natural temper was warm, and constant watchfulness was required to keep it under due restraint; but if ever she were overtaken in this fault, she was deeply pained, and ready to make any acknowledgment that Christian duty required. Early in the summer of 1843, her health failed so much, that she was obliged to leave her place, and go to the house of her mother-in-law, in whom she found a kind and sympathizing friend, who, as she was able, ministered to her comfort. She was called to endure a painful affliction ; but patience had its perfect work. She saw that she was to remove from the world, in the very prime of life; but to the will of her heavenly Father she was wholly resigned. Her master called several times to see her, and rejoiced to find that the principles which had guided and preserved her in health, fully sustained her in sickness, and cheered her in the prospect of death. Her mind was peaceful and serene in the near approach of dissolution ; and when the final hour arrived, she quietly fell asleep, trusting in Christ, and commending her spirit to him who had redeemed it. It deserves to be recorded, that though she had been liberal to the full extent of her means, while in health, yet by prudence and frugality she had saved what contributed to support her during a lengthened illness, and paid the expenses of her funeral. She directed that what surplus might remain, should be given to the cause she loved so well in life ; and, accordingly, her dying wish was fulfilled by the payment of the amount, three pounds, to the Missionary Treasurer.


[ocr errors]

40. Died, November 24th, Mrs. Elizabeth Pound, of CommercialRoad, East, in the Third London Circuit. She was born in the year 1807, of pious parents, who were the descendants of some of the earliest Methodists. Favoured with a godly example, and brought up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, she experienced the invaluable restraints of divine grace, was remarkable for the consistency of her behaviour, and manifested great pleasure in attending the worship and service of our holy religion. In her seventeenth year, when visiting Bristol, the Holy Spirit, by the word, discovered to her the one thing which she still lacked ; and in the exercise of repentance, and of faith in the atonement, she was made a partaker of the privileges and changes connected with reconciliation to God. She knew the blessedness of those whose iniquities are forgiven, and walked in the light of God's countenance. At this time she joined the church of her fathers, and was admitted into its communion by the late venerable James Wood. In this communion she continued, scrupulously attentive to its order; sincerely attached to its arrangements; and, above all, uniformly showing, in her life, the truthfulness of her profession, and the power and blessedness of her religion. She cultivated the habit of retirement in a fitting manner, and gained solace and strength from the perusal of the Scriptures, from meditation, and from secret prayer, as well as from the public means of Christian edification. On the latter she was a most regular attendant, often, when greatly enfeebled by the disease which ultimately proved fatal, making painful efforts to enjoy the worship of the sanctuary. Her faith in Christ continued steady against her temptations, her trials, and in the midst of repeated bereavements; four of her children being summoned to an early grave. She was a Christian mother, affectionately and faithfully guiding the minds of her children, and watching for their souls. In the frequent necessary absence of her husband she conducted the devotions of the family with spirituality of mind, and with profitable results.

In her protracted and painful affliction, whilst thirsting for the courts of the Lord, and with grateful recollections of pleasures not again to be enjoyed in this life, exclaiming, “How amiable are thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts !” she was kept in patience, and in peaceful resignation to the divine will; and rose above many powerful inducements to desire life, and especially her great solicitude for her children, not by the presence of insensibility, but by the power of enlightened, confiding, and grateful submission. The praises of God were continually upon her lips, and in trembling accents she embodied her thanksgivings in singing psalms and hymns, till she closed this exercise exhausted by an effort to sing,

“ Rock of ages, cleft for me,” &c.

As her end drew near she blessed her children and her household, affectionately and earnestly exhorting all to live to God, and seizing, with great facility, upon circumstances to enforce her dying lessons. She had, sometimes, been harassed with fears of dying ; but God supplied strength according to her day, so that her last hours were not only peaceful, but triumphant. Death had lost its sting, and she longed to be with Christ as far better. As her friends spoke of the love of God, she responded with ecstasy, “Glory to God! Victory,

« VorigeDoorgaan »