waiting for death in peace, and unshaken confidence. At length, surrounded by her sorrowing friends, she drew her last breath, and her redeemed and happy spirit returned to God who gave it.


32. Died, September 17th, at Churwell, in the Birstal Circuit, Thomas Crowther, Esq., in his fifty-ninth year. In 1794, Churwell and its neighbourhood were favoured with the ministerial labours of the late Rev. William Bramwell. These were accompanied by a remarkable influence from above, and many, and especially from among the young, were brought to desire to flee from the wrath to come. Not a few received the Spirit of adoption, through faith in Christ. To afford them the opportunity of suitable instruction, as well as to secure their more complete separation from the world, they were formed into a class, over which a fit Leader was appointed, and Churwell was made one of the regular stations on the Circuit Plan. Mr. Crowther, then only nine years old, was one of these. He continued to meet in class till he was sent from home for the completion of his education. Separated from his pious companions, though he still retained the form of religion, he gradually lost its inward power. In this state he remained for several years. When he returned to Churwell, Mr. Bramwell had just received a second appointment to Birstal; and again Mr. Crowther sat under his powerful ministry. His convictions returned, and were even more painful than ever. At the invitation of Mr. Bramwell's colleague, the Rev. John Nelson, he once more began to meet in class, and to seek to recover his lost peace. The anguish of his soul became almost insupportable; and though he sought the Lord diligently, not only in the public means of grace, but by frequently retiring for secret prayer, for three months it seemed as if he were seeking in vain. At length, while at a lovefeast, encouraged by the testimonies which he heard of Christ's power and willingness to save, he earnestly prayed for power to come to him just then for a present salvation. And his prayer was heard. He was enabled with the heart to believe unto righteousness; and instantly his mourning was turned into gladness. To use his own language, when referring to this event, "Every person, everything, every sound, every feeling, appeared new; and I could joyfully sing,

'Now I have found the ground wherein

Sure my soul's anchor may remain."

By the grace of God, from this hour to that of his decease, he stood fast in the liberty wherewith Christ had made him free. If, through severe temptation, or any other circumstance, his mind was at any time brought into heaviness, he could not be satisfied till again he could joy in God through faith in the atonement. His life was one of method throughout. Whatever he had to do, whether relating to business or religion, he "always kept up with it." While his reading was chiefly of a religious character, to the Scriptures he paid especial attention; frequently rising early in the morning, and devoting hours to the prayerful perusal of the word of God, before his mind became occupied with his secular affairs; and when the business of the day was closed, he seemed to desire no other relaxation. In his worldly concerns he was distinguished for punctuality, diligence, and order.

Few persons got through more business; but he never seemed to be hurried. All was done in a recollected, and even cheerful, spirit. Religion he had embraced from principle, and carried it with him into everything. No one could be long in his company, whatever the occasion, without perceiving that he feared God. To the ordinances of God's house the strength of his attachment was found in the constancy and regularity of his attendance. His spirit was truly catholic; he loved all that loved the Lord Jesus Christ: but he was a decided Methodist, and always anxiously solicitous for its establishment and prosperity. When from home, his first inquiries, at the place where he might be, always had reference to the chapel, and the state of the society and congregation; and at home, he was engaged in everything that was judged to be calculated to augment the influence of Methodism, and promote its success. To his liberality and exertions the society at Churwell chiefly owes its commodious chapel, its excellent schoolroom and library, and much of its present and prospective prosperity. One who knew him well says, "He was the life and soul of all the benevolent institutions in the village. Every one looked up to him; and the largest share of labour and expense usually devolved on him. He was content to hold any office, however humble. Frequently was he found in the Sunday-school teaching a class, when some much younger person, perhaps, would be acting as Superintendent." To the various funds of Methodism he always contributed; but it was with the perishing Heathen that he felt the strongest sympathy; and not long before he died, he believed it to be his duty, both to augment considerably his annual subscription to the Wesleyan Missionary Society, and to present a handsome donation towards the reduction of the debt which at that time existed. One of his last acts was to advocate in his class the claims of the worn-out Ministers and their widows, enforcing his advocacy by contributing in proportion to his greater ability. Under his hospitable roof the Wesleyan Ministers were for many years entertained, and all his conduct towards them evinced that he "esteemed them very highly in love for their work's sake." To his servants, and the poor in general, he was exceedingly kind and bountiful; whilst his genuine and unobtrusive piety, his affable and courteous demeanour, secured the respect of all who knew him. In all the relations of life, his conduct was exemplary; and with honour to himself, and advantage to the society of which he was a member, he sustained its various and important offices.

In the midst of his usefulness, and when his friends were anticipating the pleasure of his society for many years, he was suddenly laid aside by affliction; and it only too soon for their wishes appeared that the "sickness was unto death." The nature of the disease, and the rapidity with which he sank beneath its power, prevented him from speaking much; but his confidence in his God and Saviour was unshaken, and his prospects into eternity unclouded. To him to live had been Christ, and now to die was gain. After a few days of suffering, his happy spirit was released from the burden of the flesh, and removed to the joy and felicity of the saints in light.

33. Died, October 3d, at Bristol, in the twenty-sixth year, Mr. James Julland Carter.


South Circuit, in his
His natural disposition


was amiable; and under the training of pious parents, he grew up in strict attention to moral and religious duties, and was remarkable for the gentleness and kindness of his behaviour, his serious observance of public worship, and his affectionate submission to parental authority. He did not, however, fully yield to these gracious movements of the Holy Spirit, nor close in with the offered salvation of the Gospel, till he was nineteen years old. He then saw that his nature was opposed to God, and his heart not right with him; that the former correctness of his life could not avail for his personal justification and acceptance; and that his only trust must be in the precious blood of Christ, shed as an atonement for his soul. Convinced of the duty of confessing Christ, and feeling the need of Christian fellowship, he joined the society to which his parents belonged; and, in the use of all the means of grace, sought earnestly the salvation of God. It was in a prayer-meeting, in Langton-street chapel, that he found what he sought, and was enabled to say, "O Lord, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me." The blessing which he then obtained, he was enabled to hold fast to the end of his pilgrimage. He now became anxious that others should be partakers with him of like precious faith. He was particularly solicitous for his younger brothers and sisters, who had not then become decided to live for God. He affectionately admonished them, and prayed earnestly for them, until their desires were as his own had been; and then he frequently retired with them for secret prayer, till they, too, could rejoice as he did. The same zeal led him to become a Tract-Distributor, in which employment he was encouraged by much success. He also manifested a deep concern for those with whom he was associated in business, and endeavoured, by advice and prayer, enforced by an impressive example, to recommend to them the religion which himself enjoyed. He highly valued the privileges of church membership, and carefully preserved his quarterly tickets as tokens of his union with the professing church; and not long before his death, he presented them all to his mother, requesting her to take care of them, when he should be removed to the church above.


In August, 1842, he became much indisposed; and though he for a time appeared to recover, yet the foundation was laid of the disease which only terminated with his life. During the thirteen months of pain and decline which followed, and amidst all the changing symptoms through which he was called to pass, his reliance on the merits of his Saviour was unshaken, and patience had its perfect work. When at length informed that there was no hope of his ultimate recovery, he calmly acquiesced, and said that his only desire was, that the will of the Lord should be done. He was constitutionally diffident, and often spoke of his spiritual attainments less confidently than his actual experience would have justified. In his affliction, however, he observed to his mother, that he wondered he had not spoken more freely on spiritual subjects; and that he thought if he were then in Langton-street chapel, he could declare to all the world what God had done for his soul. As his disease advanced, his prospects became still brighter. On the 15th of August, he said that he was weak in body, but strong in faith. He added, "Christ is my all in all. Sometimes I seem overwhelmed with joy." Soon after he became very ill, and it

was thought that his death was now approaching. The more alarming symptoms passed away. He said, "I thought I had entered the valley. It seemed dark in itself; but there was at the end Jesu's smiling face. I long to be in glory. But the Lord's time is best." He then spoke of the fulness and freeness of Christ's salvation, and said that he wished that his voice could reach all the world, that he might tell them what a glorious Saviour he had found. His brothers and sisters, and other relations, and afterwards the domestics of the family, he affectionately urged to make their calling and election sure, solemnly charging them to meet him at the right hand of God. He was soon after seized with convulsions, and for some days his sufferings were great; but he was graciously supported, and sometimes even wept for joy. On one occasion, he said, "How good the Lord is! 'His presence makes my paradise,

[blocks in formation]

And where he is, is heaven.'"

verses of hymns which expressed his feelings.

[merged small][ocr errors]

with great emphasis he added the remaining portion :

"Jesus Christ is my Redeemer :

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!"

Occasionally, he endured some severe contests with the adversary of his soul, who endeavoured to shake his confidence in God. In the final assault, the mental struggle was so great as powerfully to affect his emaciated frame. But on this occasion, as on others, prayer was his unfailing resource, and he became more than conqueror. After this he exclaimed, "Christ is indeed mine. Satan has no more to do with me. He is a conquered foe. O, the precious blood of Christ! It cleanses from all sin." He was exceedingly happy the last few days of his life. Even to his deeply-sorrowing friends, it was delightful to hear him, from time to time, repeat such expressions as these:-" The Lord is ripening me for glory. God is my Rock and my Fortress; my Stronghold and my Deliverer. He will never leave nor forsake me. He will be with me to the end." Seeing some of his friends who had called to visit him, he said, "We shall meet in glory. O what a joyful meeting there!" It was said to him, that perhaps a funeral sermon might be preached after his removal: "Let nothing be said to exalt me," he observed: "let my Saviour alone be exalted, that others may be stirred up to seek Him who has done so much for me, and who is able and willing to save to the uttermost all who come to God by him." The day before he died, he appeared almost exhausted, and said very little; but in the evening he requested his parents to approach him, and, tenderly embracing them, he said, with a low, but firm, voice, "May you be enriched with all the blessings of grace! May you be filled with all the fulness of God!" He passed a restless night, and in the morning it was evident that nature was rapidly sinking. A little before his departure, looking upwards, he repeated several times, with great energy, so that his voice could be heard at a distance from his room, "Glory, glory, glory, glory! Jesus is mine!"

His father, who was near him, added, “And you are his." He solemnly added, "Yes; I am. Amen, and amen." This was his last effort. He looked at his younger sisters as though he were about to speak to them, and they stood waiting to hear him. But the power of articulation had failed; and in a few minutes, without any struggle, he ceased to live. JOSEPH WOOD.

34. Died, October 8th, at Burton- Agnes, near Driffield, aged twentyfive, Mr. Robert Lawson, son of Mr. Norwood Lawson. His parents, who are still living, are members of the Wesleyan society. His father has for many years been a Local Preacher. They were careful to train him in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. He gave early proof of more than usual seriousness; and it was evident that as reason opened, the great truths of religion, which were constantly placed before him, impressed his mind with increasing power. He loved and obeyed his parents, and his temper and conduct were such as to encourage the persuasion that their pious care would not be in vain.

At the usual age he left home, and was apprenticed to Mr. Wrangham, draper, Driffield. Here he lost none of the religious advantages which he had previously enjoyed, being placed in a Wesleyan family. He saw more clearly than ever the beauty of religion, felt its importance, and acknowledged its necessity. He read the Scriptures regularly, and did not neglect private prayer. Soon afterwards, it appeared as though the whole truth of his condition had burst upon his view. Under a sermon preached by Mr. Edward Brook, of Huddersfield, he perceived what was his natural state as a sinner. He was convinced of his guilt and sinfulness, and saw that a religious education, and attention to the precepts of morality and the ordinances of religion, however proper they were in their place, were not sufficient of themselves to prepare him to stand before the Judge of all the earth. Convinced that he needed the mercy of God in Christ Jesus, he sought this with all his heart, and at the prayer-meeting which was held on the conclusion of the service, he happily obtained what he sought, and was enabled to rejoice in God his Saviour. Immediately after, he became a member of the Wesleyan society.

He fulfilled the term of his apprenticeship with satisfaction to his employer, and credit to himself; and, at its close, obtained a situation in one of the principal drapery establishments at York. His circumstances, in a religious point of view, were now much changed. His associates in business were not like-minded with himself; and instead of being encouraged by the sympathy which he had previously enjoyed, he had to endure the laugh of the thoughtless, and sometimes the sneer of the profane. The inconsistency of some who made a profession of religion, was as a stumbling-block in his path. He delayed, instead of hastening, his union with the society to which he belonged, thus yielding to a common, but very dangerous, temptation; and the result was, that for some time he was alienated from that Christian communion, the advantages of which he needed more than ever; and, as may be anticipated, though neither the other public nor private means of grace were neglected, he suffered decided loss in the liveliness and power of spiritual religion, and ultimately relapsed into a state of comparative lukewarmness. Happily, he did not withdraw from the ministry of the word. The late Mr. Strawe was then stationed at

« VorigeDoorgaan »